CC :: Durham v Sussex

Batsmen need to apply themselves it shouldn’t come as a surprise the new ball moves around. This game is gone and we move onto the one day stuff next.....let’s see how we get on

Do these batsman have that ability tho ?

Early days I suppose let’s hope so

Bancroft and Eckersley: two capable batsmen getting out with terrible shots trying to boss the bowling. That isn't technique, it's poor match psychology, which comes from the leadership group

The writing is on the wall for Durham unless they change something. They will be bottom 3, no doubt as it stands.

Exactly. I'd have Lewis and Colly back in a heartbeat, this lot don't know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Bancroft and Eckersley: two capable batsmen getting out with terrible shots trying to boss the bowling. That isn't technique, it's poor match psychology, which comes from the leadership group

Exactly. I'd have Lewis and Colly back in a heartbeat, this lot don't know what they're doing.
Those two haven't been here for 30 seconds, the last time Bancroft played would have been on Aussie wickets which are a different kettle of fish. The head coach has only been here for 45 seconds. Same for our batting coach, whoever he is. There's been no time for them to have any impact.

I reckon the top 5 are good players, plenty of talent there. But after that ….. who could step in if one is having a mare of a season?

Those two haven't been here for 30 seconds, the last time Bancroft played would have been on Aussie wickets which are a different kettle of fish. The head coach has only been here for 45 seconds. Same for our batting coach, whoever he is. There's been no time for them to have any impact.

A good reason not to have appointed them to their respective posts.

Did you see Bancroft's wicket? He had a massive heave-ho outside off stump. Like something from Australia's Trent Bridge horror show in 2015. Awful.

A page to bookmark, Durham's CC2 averages Specsavers County Championship Division Two, 2019 - Durham Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

A good reason not to have appointed them to their respective posts.

Did you see Bancroft's wicket? He had a massive heave-ho outside off stump. Like something from Australia's Trent Bridge horror show in 2015. Awful.
No I didn't, but I'm not taking issue that the shot was terrible just that the coaches were at fault.

It always makes me wonder when players turn up pretty much on the day and expect to play well straight-away - especially batsmen. Even Ekserley, how often has he played at Durham?

A lot harder for batters to do well I think, in red ball cricket anyway.

A page to bookmark, Durham's CC2 averages Specsavers County Championship Division Two, 2019 - Durham Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

No I didn't, but I'm not taking issue that the shot was terrible just that the coaches were at fault.

It always makes me wonder when players turn up pretty much on the day and expect to play well straight-away - especially batsmen. Even Ekserley, how often has he played at Durham?

A lot harder for batters to do well I think, in red ball cricket anyway.

The first thing the coaches should instill in the team is the correct way to bat on their home wicket. Everyone knows the Riverside (or anywhere in England) in April is a spicy wicket, but those two were batting like they'd played themselves in on an Australian wicket: that wasn't bad luck but the wrong mindset and gameplan. There were 2 days left, Eckersley (a player with 100+ county games, hardly a kid) had no reason to accelerate and try to boss a decent bowling attack. It was reminiscent of the 'fearless cricket' stuff we've seen from England players since Bayliss took over.

In contrast, Harte played the perfect innings for the conditions: bit streaky early on but dug in and only started the T20 stuff when Rushworth was at the other end.

The less said about the bowling attack the better. Salisbury looked barely county standard to me. Raine started well but dropped short very quickly.

The first thing the coaches should instill in the team is the correct way to bat on their home wicket. Everyone knows the Riverside (or anywhere in England) in April is a spicy wicket, but those two were batting like they'd played themselves in on an Australian wicket: that wasn't bad luck but the wrong mindset and gameplan. There were 2 days left, Eckersley (a player with 100+ county games, hardly a kid) had no reason to accelerate and try to boss a decent bowling attack. It was reminiscent of the 'fearless cricket' stuff we've seen from England players since Bayliss took over.

In contrast, Harte played the perfect innings for the conditions: bit streaky early on but dug in and only started the T20 stuff when Rushworth was at the other end.

The less said about the bowling attack the better. Salisbury looked barely county standard to me. Raine started well but dropped short very quickly.

You aren't wrong here but what I would say is cricket is half mental/confidence, you can just tell we are struggling at the minute in that aspect.

also the first innings, not sure if you saw, but we were so so pensive and batted so slowly.

So I think it was right to try and express themselves a bit more in the 2nd innings, just not that extreme

Its a difficult balancing act when you are so low on confidence IMO

Back