Cash or card

I can count on one hand how many times I've lost my phone over the last 25 years or so. Zero.

Just one lost phone for me.

About five years ago I approached an African geezer smoking a joint in Tenerife and asked if he knew where I could buy some green. Imagine my surprise when he said yes. So I helped him finish his joint and we agreed to meet the next night. He told me to input my number into his phone. I did so and handed his phone back to him. Then went into my pocket and gave him my phone as well. We then walked off in opposite directions.

The next morning our lass was woke up by her Mother calling from Scotland. She couldn't understand why some foreign bloke was calling on my phone and demanding 200 euros for its return. I think she thought I was putting on a deeply racist comedy accent .I assume he'd worked his way through several contacts before my Mother in Law answered.

Cash Only and Card Only establishments are annoying. Been trying to find a Chinese that takes cards for ages. The cash only folk need to move with the times and the card only folk need to do one.

Cash Only and Card Only establishments are annoying. Been trying to find a Chinese that takes cards for ages. The cash only folk need to move with the times and the card only folk need to do one.
Cash means they can fiddle the books. Years ago , did a bit of work for my local Chinese take away, lovely fella recently retired , his daughter has it now. But back then In land Revenue had him by the balls. According to his books he ws making nowt , but had a 5 bed detached house , range rover etc. So they looked at his average hriday and saturday night turn over and he was declaring £1200 a night. They then sat outside the shop , counted customers and averaged the spend as £15 per transaction. True figure was closer to 10k a night , hit him with a £150k bill which he paid without blinking. No way will chinese be rushing to get card machines.

Cash means they can fiddle the books. Years ago , did a bit of work for my local Chinese take away, lovely fella recently retired , his daughter has it now. But back then In land Revenue had him by the balls. According to his books he ws making nowt , but had a 5 bed detached house , range rover etc. So they looked at his average hriday and saturday night turn over and he was declaring £1200 a night. They then sat outside the shop , counted customers and averaged the spend as £15 per transaction. True figure was closer to 10k a night , hit him with a £150k bill which he paid without blinking. No way will chinese be rushing to get card machines.
Nearly 700 customers a night? Haway man

I take out £10 for the barber and that’s the only thing I regularly use cash for. Prostitutes would be the only other (hypothetical, I should add) reason I could think of needing cash for.
Cash is vital to stop the WEF imposing digital money which is the start of the slippery slope towards to control of your spending habits.
Parody or nutjob?

Last edited:
I waited for ages for one to come on just eat then when one did they ripped you off something terrible.

Normally at our local you can add chips or boiled rice for 70p or something, fried rice 1£.

But ordering by justeat you had to get your main dish then pay 3 quid for a rice or 3 quid for a chips.

I use mainly cash, but that's down to being self employed.

Not read the thread, somebody might have mentioned it already, but i read recently more people are turning back towards cash so they know exactly what they're spending.

Whatever the reason long may it continue.

Not read the thread, somebody might have mentioned it already, but i read recently more people are turning back towards cash so they know exactly what they're spending.

Shirley it's much easier keeping track by using card? Straight on the online banking and you have every penny detailed for months.

Shirley it's much easier keeping track by using card? Straight on the online banking and you have every penny detailed for months.
I guess the people saying about using cash so they know exactly what they're spending maybe don't log on to their bank that often, maybe too busy or forgetful or dare i say scatty !

We need to keep the cash going but more and more are going cashless. lf it eventually becomes cashless then we need to ditch the banks and go to digital currency

I think having both options available is class and limiting to one or the other is a bit daft.

However it will happen eventually as cash means staff and that means there's money to be saved on jobs

I always pay cash to small independent firms if I can. The banks charge them for card use and if it helps them pay a little less tax when big companies are using loop holes to avoid paying billions I'm ok with it.

Do you know if these firms actually prefer cash, as you could be doing them a disservice otherwise. Small firms, usually the owner has to drive to the bank, pay for parking to bank it, which is a right clart on & could well outweigh bank fees.

Back