Cash or card

Germany is still well behind the rest of the developed world in going cash free. Their ATMs are also tempremetal with foreign cards and I've often had to try a few before one accepts my plastic.
It accepted it, went through the motions then said it was dispensing the cash and the drawer never opened, despite me tutting at it loudly :)

There was a contact number but I’m not sure that would end satisfactorily

Currently sat in a bar in Dusseldorf….gets me little altbier and asked the gadgie (de gadgie) if they take card….nein he says so head out to a cashpoint, get 50 euro and the f***ing draw doesn’t open….then appears to be out of order. God knars what happened to me cash.

Tried the one next to it which gave me money.

Cash is **** on this occasion
Don’t mention the draw.

I've temporarily moved from Sweden which is 100% card to Spain where most people use cash.

Does my head in. People take f***ing ages paying in the supermarket.

I only carry cash. If I go to a business that says "card payments only" or some stupid modern shit like that I scream "CASH IS KING" at the teenaged shop assistant, and follow it up with "YOU'RE ONLY COSTING YOURSELF BUSINESS!!" Then I go home and name and shame them on my "Cash is King" Facebook group, to warn all the other members to give them a swerve.

We have to resist the WEF controlling our access to money.

After a few recent poker wins which is the only time I ever really need cash, I've built up a bit that I'm going to have to start spending it elsewhere, off to the match today will see how many dodgy rolling eyes I get from barstaff when I pay in cash.

I only carry cash. If I go to a business that says "card payments only" or some stupid modern shit like that I scream "CASH IS KING" at the teenaged shop assistant, and follow it up with "YOU'RE ONLY COSTING YOURSELF BUSINESS!!" Then I go home and name and shame them on my "Cash is King" Facebook group, to warn all the other members to give them a swerve.

We have to resist the WEF controlling our access to money.

Was behind a little old lady at the till in M&S food hall in the galleries yesterday. She paid cash, and after handing over a tenner then said 'oh, do you want the nine' and then ferreted around in her purse for an hour until she had found nine one-pence pieces, which she then handed over.

As she turned to walk away, she winked at me and said 'Hope you enjoyed the wait. cash is king,motherfucker'.

Neither. Apple Pay exclusively. I’ve just been in a country where poverty is really bad yet the beach sellers & beggars all had contactless machines. Was a right pain as the “sorry don’t carry cash” line doesn’t work anymore

Surprising with window cleaner given its a ballache to go door knocking to collect it (when don't know if people are in or not) which is effectively working but not getting paid. Mine insists on bank transfer.
I have always paid my window cleaner in cash, still do. Also pay for haircuts for myself and my son in cash. Use my card for most other things.

Last edited:

Back