Cash is King

Errrrr:lol: who mentioned physical gift cards? The fact it's digital is irrelevant.

How does the bank know what's what?
The supermarket/pub would need to inform 3rd party voucher issuer, who would then need to inform PayPal who would then need to inform bank. Aye, that's going to work isn't it....
Sounds fairly simple. The government would know what you were buying, and could stop you/fine you for buying beyond your quota.

"They won't be able to work out what I'm buying" :lol:
Of course they could, wouldn't take much of a technological jump. Shop cards already do this ffs.

:lol:

Funny that you can immediately tell what the cash is king types opinions will be on other issues - eg. Brexit, favoured political party, the channel crossing boats, trans rights, wokeism etc

Gammon rage :evil:
I organized a charity do for MSF in the village square here in Spain a fortnight ago. We took around 5 grand on the day. Cash only. Drinks, food, plant stalls, great music, and the local kids even had an Easter Bonnet parade, much to some older residents bemusement.. No-one asked to pay by card. Everyone came together and had a great time. Seems that the Uk is a lot further down the road of a cashless society than here.

I'm a woke, lib-tard ,lefty, staunch remainer type by the way, so maybe examine your own prejudices when I say I am totally opposed to a cashless society?

There is a very worrying trend though and that is to be asked for your National Identity Card when making simple transactions like opticians, dentists and anything of higher value. More and more retail outlets are really pushing customer loyalty cards which of course on application you then have to supply your Identity Card details.So somewhere there is a potential for a huge stockpiling of personal data by central Govt.
A subscription to a left wing news source ??
Imagine for a moment if Franco was to be reincarnated? How easy it would be to identify 'Enemies of the People' within a cashless society.

In the UK you have had relatively benign Govt for aeons, in many parts of Europe, particularly here in Spain malign Govts existed withing living memory and are in resurgence.
Here in Spain, Govt agencies can take money out of your account without prior warning. Fact.
And from what I read on here your Uk civil liberties have been, and are being eroded.
Be careful what you wish for.

Sounds fairly simple. The government would know what you were buying, and could stop you/fine you for buying beyond your quota.

"They won't be able to work out what I'm buying" :lol:
Of course they could, wouldn't take much of a technological jump. Shop cards already do this ffs.

The government would need to liase with shops & need a government loyalty card for every time you shop for anything. You do realise how expensive that would be to implement for no benefit to anyone.
also the banks wouldn't what you were spending on which was the original argument which you've now shifted on after being proved wrong.

Here in Spain, Govt agencies can take money out of your account without prior warning. Fact.
Same thing happened to my brother years ago when he was working in Italy.

Opened an Italian bank account for his wages to be paid into and about two months later he noticed a fairly substantial wedge had been taken out by the government.

Asked the Italian lads at work about it and they said that it happens all the time when the governments a bit light in the old current account, and why did he think they all got paid in cash?

The government would need to liase with shops & need a government loyalty card for every time you shop for anything. You do realise how expensive that would be to implement for no benefit to anyone.
also the banks wouldn't what you were spending on which was the original argument which you've now shifted on after being proved wrong.

Could you imagine the black market for stuff?

I'd be nudging a bloke in the Blue Bell asking if he had any narkies cos I've used my quota up for the year.

Smoking has been on the decline since it was linked to cancer in the 1960's. 40 years ago smokers were very much in the minority.

Alcohol is banned completely in about half a dozen countries in the world which is hardly numerous, most of which you would never set foot in anyway.

Anyway, this is all false equivalence. You can still buy tabs, as many packets or pouches as you want. The government don't monitor or regulate how many you do and have no means of doing so.
Would be a piece of piss to monitor if they wanted to.

I'm not talking about other countries, talking about how it would allow it here if there society moved that way.
We already know the next generation drink less and are more authoritarian. We are already seeing MPs, and councillors voted in on the back of the Islamist vote to do the bidding of Muslims. To top that MPs are being threatened with death to vote in particular ways to satisfy the demands growing sections of our society which are more often than not don't fit with British culture.

It's not that difficult to imagine it possible that society could eventually move that way.

"Do it to save the NHS!" Clap clap clap clap.
Again piece of piss. They already liaise with shops about income etc.

If they wanted to implement a system that alerted about certain items being bought, or logged everything bought - technologywise it's not that difficult. Are you saying that the technology to do that could not be developed? Seriously?
Exactlty. Time to move on from that ni you've been proven wrong

Last edited:

I'm not talking about other countries, talking about how it would allow it here if there society moved that way.
We already know the next generation drink less and are more authoritarian. We are already seeing MPs, and councillors voted in on the back of the Islamist vote to do the bidding of Muslims. To top that MPs are being threatened with death to vote in particular ways to satisfy the demands growing sections of our society which are more often than not don't fit with British culture.

It's not that difficult to imagine it possible that society could eventually move that way.

If they wanted to implement a system that alerted about certain items being bought, or logged everything bought - technologywise it's not that difficult. Are you saying that the technology to do that could not be developed? Seriously?

They liase with shops in terms of their employees pay, it's a big difference maintaining the info for 3 or 4 staff to 10,000's of random people detailing every little thing they spend. The shop doesn't know who I am.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it'd be a logical nightmare & cost an absolute fortune for zero benefit

They liase with shops in terms of their employees pay, it's a big difference maintaining the info for 3 or 4 staff to 10,000's of random people detailing every little thing they spend. The shop doesn't know who I am.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it'd be a logical nightmare & cost an absolute fortune for zero benefit
Wouldn't be very difficult. Especially just flagging up a specific product

Is your head just full of screaming noises day in and day out

40 years ago you'd never have imagined the majority of people not smoking, and cigarettes hidden away under counters in shops, and eventually being made illegal.

I've got no idea how society will view alcohol in 50-100 years time. It's already banned in numerous countries.

Would have no choice if it was government policy or universally adopted by banks

Can't see their being physical gift vouchers in a future where there's no physical cash. Would just be on your phone and linked to your person.
Ok so the problem moves to a government level not a bank level.

It is election time, The party in power is micromanaging the population telling people what they can or can not buy. Someone goes into a pub for a quick pint and the card machines says no, you are over your limit. That person is angry.

Meanwhile the opposition party says they will scrap those rules and return spending freedom.

Which party wins?

I guessed (correctly) a few posts back that you were heading down an anti-muslim line, which is totally irrelevant to the thread.

FWIW I've been to Pakistan and had a beer, no problem. Bahrain and Morocco too.

Wouldn't be very difficult. Especially just flagging up a specific product

Flagging up a product for who?
The shop don't know me, and whose going pay for all the software required for small corner shops?
You're taking about a massive database handling quadrillion of bit of data

You've never been to any, obviously. Pakistani people were some of the nicest and warmest I've ever met.
Apart from the corrrupution, Sharia law, Islamic oppression, and rape, I'm sure it's lovely.

If you're happy for Britain to be like Pakistan and Bahrain, then it's a pointless discussion.
Flagging up a product for who?
The shop don't know me, and whose going pay for all the software required for small corner shops?
You're taking about a massive database handling quadrillion of bit of data
Yep you were anonymous untill you handed over you card

Last edited:

Back