Car Hire Advice

Hi I went to Florida a couple of years ago and paid ~850 for a people carrier thing for two weeks but then had to also cover ~500 quid when I got there for auto tolls and GPS. Is this about right or did I have my eyes taken out? Is there a way to get everything paid up front and how much should I be paying?

Any help appreciated

You don't need a satnav.

Get a 3 sim with 4gb of data and use your phone as a GPS.Go Roam | Roaming free of charge in 71 destinations | Three

You should also get car hire excess insurance here as suggested Car Hire Excess Insurance | TravelSupermarket

As for tolls. It depends where you go. If you head down to the Keys some of the Interstates are toll only -no coins so you need their gadget.

If you're just arsing abt Orlando etc you should pay with coins.

Don't listen to Andy about your own tolls in Florida. All the major highways are auto-tolls and you'll pay more for them in the long run. As for GPS, use Google/Apple maps and your data (assuming you're going to be roaming when in Florida) or get a cheap pay as you go. $35 for the sim and you are golden with 3gb data should be more than enough.

Meh. There's a daily charge for using the sun pass etc . Circa 5 dollars. Fine if you're doing a load of tolls, but if you're driving from MCO or Sanford and then traveling around the Kissimmee area, why pay 5 dollars for hitting a dollar toll on the 192 every time you nip to Walmart.

Obviously if you're hitting loads of tolls then you'll save. As for GPS, download maps from home before you leave.

Last edited:
I didn't get a car last time, but next time I'll have no choice. Its about as cheap to buy a brand new one in wallmart as to rent one IIRC

It is cheaper to buy one however get a sim that has free GB usage in USA and use ya phone as a satnav. I do it every year in the USA. 3 provide a sim for use abroad (inc USA) with texts, calls & data as if in UK.

It is cheaper to buy one however get a sim that has free GB usage in USA and use ya phone as a satnav. I do it every year in the USA. 3 provide a sim for use abroad (inc USA) with texts, calls & data as if in UK.
Maps can be downloaded in advance. I think he was talking car seats.

Maps can be downloaded in advance. I think he was talking car seats.
Navmii (and many others, even Google maps if you look carefully) can load the maps to your phone(s) before you leave and have it all ready.

3 Sim with a data plan pre-loaded work very well (be aware you might need to manually change network if you don't get a data connection when you first arrive - happened to me)

No way am I paying $8/day for a satnav :lol:

Back