Car Hire Advice

Flip

Winger
Hi I went to Florida a couple of years ago and paid ~850 for a people carrier thing for two weeks but then had to also cover ~500 quid when I got there for auto tolls and GPS. Is this about right or did I have my eyes taken out? Is there a way to get everything paid up front and how much should I be paying?

Any help appreciated

This.

Add ons for cars are where they make their money.

In Spain recently, the weekly hire car price was less than the DAILY child seat hire rate! :lol:
GPS? Just use your phone???
Same in Florida. I just put the kids in the boot and the cases on the back seats. Brill idea hun.

I drove from San Francisco to San Diego a few years ago. Bought a satnav in Office Depot I think, in san Francisco & handed it back to another branch in San Diego about 10 days later.

Fuckin mugs.
These days everyone owns a satnav antsya.

I didn't get a car last time, but next time I'll have no choice. Its about as cheap to buy a brand new one in wallmart as to rent one IIRC
Yeah. In reality I took one blow up booster for the eldest and a couple of high back boosters.

Hi I went to Florida a couple of years ago and paid ~850 for a people carrier thing for two weeks but then had to also cover ~500 quid when I got there for auto tolls and GPS. Is this about right or did I have my eyes taken out? Is there a way to get everything paid up front and how much should I be paying?

Any help appreciated

Had your pants pulled down I’m afraid

Any help appreciated

Download the app navmii it’s free, and doesn’t run off your data!! Set up for the parks, it’s excellent.

Last edited:
Don't ask for GPS and pay your own tolls.

Don't listen to Andy about your own tolls in Florida. All the major highways are auto-tolls and you'll pay more for them in the long run. As for GPS, use Google/Apple maps and your data (assuming you're going to be roaming when in Florida) or get a cheap pay as you go. $35 for the sim and you are golden with 3gb data should be more than enough.

Yeah, paid for insurance before we left, honestly don't remember what we paid - covers us for the full year in the EU.

And £26 for an Octavia 1.5 TSI for 8 nights! In-laws just got back, told us they paid £1.60 for a week's hire of a Fiesta :lol:
That insurance thing could be interesting but I think the people I hire from insist that you buy theirs . Maybe I could do a years deal with them . We do health insurance for a year at a time I think it's about £120 for both of us .

Back