Cans or bottles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currently enjoying a can of Electric Boogaloo. Tastes good. Would pour it into a glass if it was a bottle or a can anyway like so doesn't make much difference.

From a website called toastale;

Cans block out all UV light, massively reducing the likelihood of ‘skunked’ beer (where the flavour of the beer changes slightly). Glass allows light in, which breaks down certain hop compounds and alters the flavour of the beer – turning your tropical IPA into something far more temperate. The dark brown glass we use does a good job of blocking out a lot of UV rays, but cans are the ultimate winner.

Cans also stop oxygen getting in as they’re completely airtight. The bottling process sometimes lets oxygen in, which can result in over-oxidation, making for a beer with overtones of cardboard (not our favourite flavour).

Some drinkers notice a metallic taste from cans, and granted, if you’re sipping straight from the can, the metal will touch your lips. But the interior of aluminium drinks cans are lined with a water-based polymer that prevents contact with the metal.

Pouring into a glass will ensure the taste isn’t interfered with from either the can or bottle. It’s also the best way to explore the colour and aroma of the beer. After also, we taste with our eyes and noses too!

From a website called toastale;

Cans block out all UV light, massively reducing the likelihood of ‘skunked’ beer (where the flavour of the beer changes slightly). Glass allows light in, which breaks down certain hop compounds and alters the flavour of the beer – turning your tropical IPA into something far more temperate. The dark brown glass we use does a good job of blocking out a lot of UV rays, but cans are the ultimate winner.

Cans also stop oxygen getting in as they’re completely airtight. The bottling process sometimes lets oxygen in, which can result in over-oxidation, making for a beer with overtones of cardboard (not our favourite flavour).

Some drinkers notice a metallic taste from cans, and granted, if you’re sipping straight from the can, the metal will touch your lips. But the interior of aluminium drinks cans are lined with a water-based polymer that prevents contact with the metal.

Pouring into a glass will ensure the taste isn’t interfered with from either the can or bottle. It’s also the best way to explore the colour and aroma of the beer. After also, we taste with our eyes and noses too!
Doesn't apply to John Smiths, Worthys or stones.

Cans of Stella are filth. Bottles of Stella are acceptable. Both have dropped from 4.8 to 4.6 % the last few weeks. You also have to be careful of the bottle size because these multi offers often have slightly smaller bottles inside.
Cans of strongbow are ok 50% of the time and flat as a fart 50% of the time.

Cans of Stella are filth. Bottles of Stella are acceptable. Both have dropped from 4.8 to 4.6 % the last few weeks. You also have to be careful of the bottle size because these multi offers often have slightly smaller bottles inside.
Cans of strongbow are ok 50% of the time and flat as a fart 50% of the time.
It’s the opposite for me, much prefer Stella from a can (poured into a decent pint glass) over the bottles.

Bottles are better for taste, but since they come in 275ml or 330ml I find I'm backwards and forwards to the fridge a lot, if you go for the big 600ml bottles they go flat and warm by the time you finish. 440ml or 500ml cans are more of a sweet spot.
See I've gone off the bigger cans. Think I've got used to 330 cans and bottles drinking in the house more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back