can someone explain this..........

Following on from my daily whinge about Riverside Park packed on Saturday, yet 200 yards over the road we are banned from watching cricket................... Tonight i put Look North on and someone can host an open air concert in Gosforth Park with over a thousand people tonight, but I'm not allowed to go and watch the cricket???

Seems mad like.

I watched my nephew play cricket at Whitburn last Sunday along with loads of other people and our lass has got tickets for me her and the bairn to watch a circus inside a tent on Friday.

County cricket must be one of the most low risk spectator sports so can't understand why at least some people are not allowed in.

Of all the things the Tory governments have done to working people and the North East over the years, it's stopping the OP watching cricket (a sport he discovered just a few short years ago) that's got him riled. :lol:

Of all the things the Tory governments have done to working people and the North East over the years, it's stopping the OP watching cricket (a sport he discovered just a few short years ago) that's got him riled. :lol:
A few short years ago? Member for over 10 years now prior to that the odd game & watched the club down at Durham Racecourse Not missed many home games in that time either in all formats. It is what it is really. I'm pretty much switched off with it all now for the season, reset & go again next season. It's got me riled because the rules make no sense and we are starting to see an increase in cases now as well. It's all very bizarre what what will be will be.
The game at non international level is slowly losing its appeal in this country. These daft rules won't help improve that either.
Also some of us have spent good hard earned money (gold membership thing for me) and it's frustrating through no fault of the club really. Times are tough for everyone but it doesn't sit right with me the examples I've provided.

Last edited:
A few short years ago? Member for over 10 years now prior to that the odd game & watched the club down at Durham Racecourse Not missed many home games in that time either in all formats. It is what it is really. I'm pretty much switched off with it all now for the season, reset & go again next season. It's got me riled because the rules make no sense and we are starting to see an increase in cases now as well. It's all very bizarre what what will be will be.
The game at non international level is slowly losing its appeal in this country. These daft rules won't help improve that either.
Also some of us have spent good hard earned money (gold membership thing for me) and it's frustrating through no fault of the club really. Times are tough for everyone but it doesn't sit right with me the examples I've provided.

Aaah, I remember when you used to brag about attendance at Sunderland games.......

Anyway, if you want an explanation as to why this is being handled so badly then write to your MP. And stop voting BNP/Tory.

It’s mental like, like it’s been said on this thread, county cricket must be very low risk, is it tomorrow it’s being reviewed about spectators at sport, I think they were hoping to get people in to the final of the snooker.

He asked why, are we supposed to lie to him? Maybe if we said it was an ECB conspiracy?

He is just disappointed that he can’t watch his team that he watches year in year out, anybody involved or interested in sport would have empathy with that.

Yet your first response and post is to laugh at him, for daring to talk about cricket rather than politics

Last edited:
He is just disappointed that he can’t watch his team that he watches year in year out, anybody involved or interested in sport would have empathy with that.

Yet your first response and post is to laugh at him, for daring to talk about cricket rather than politics

I'm disappointed my Mam and Dad can't come and visit their grandchild, I'm disappointed some of my friends have had to move to the EU, I'm disappointed that some of my customers have lost their businesses and are relying on charity food banks. Not being able to watch cricket is a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things (and I should have been at the last Test at OT, that would have been some day to watch).

It's a disappointing time, difference is that I didn't vote for all of these things. Put your head in the lion's mouth, don't whine when it bites your head off.

I do empathise - It's hugely frustrating that we haven't been allowed to watch or play any cricket this year but unfortunately it is a political issue (and I'm finger pointing at Krankie, from my perspective). We're told they're following the science but I can see very little risk attached to watching or playing cricket - by it's nature the players are spread out. We're lectured about how it's important to remain healthy and active and yet the pubs are allowed to open before gyms.

It’s cricket forum where a poster says he is disappointed he can’t watch his time, and even this turned into politics!

Yup, usual suspects with the usual replies.
15th of August the government are discussing getting spectators back in to sport

Yeah because it just so happens the football season will be starting in a few weeks time and clubs are selling season tickets.

I do hope the folk can be allowed in sometime soon purely to help Durham and other cricket clubs who will be losing a lot of money.

Last edited:
If you looked at the rules for that gig it took a lot of effort to get going.

Even things like arriving to the concert where you were not allowed to use public transport or just walk up..

The field could hold 40 thousand but the capacity was down to 2500..

I'm unsure if Durham have the capability to implement things in that way

I do empathise - It's hugely frustrating that we haven't been allowed to watch or play any cricket this year but unfortunately it is a political issue (and I'm finger pointing at Krankie, from my perspective). We're told they're following the science but I can see very little risk attached to watching or playing cricket - by it's nature the players are spread out. We're lectured about how it's important to remain healthy and active and yet the pubs are allowed to open before gyms.

I fully appreciate we need to be careful, never once have I disputed that and believe common sense needs to be used. Unfortunately common sense is lacking in society which is why I sympathise with the government/other decision makers when introducing guidelines...…… however some of the guidelines in my opinion make no sense as I have mentioned;

- riverside park open and packed last weekend...… 200 yards away durham at home and fans are banned
- I need a mask for buy a pint of milk...….. I don't need a mask to go to the pub or restaurant, ironically I can attend the pub at the ground I am banned from watching cricket at
- NEPL cricket is open to the public...……
- Newcastle racecourse can host multiple social distancing open air gigs
- social distancing rules now scrapped in supermarkets.... wear a flimsy 20p mask is all you need to do now, no one way systems etc

The guidelines are changing on a daily basis and I hope common sense can prevail with the cricket and maybe other areas too. I think it's worthwhile giving it a go as you will have people monitoring social distance for example (unlike the park outside the ground), you can close off certain areas (unlike the park outside the ground), you could enforce a one way system and you could limit toilet usage for only a certain amount of people in each stand which would help with social distancing and a 1 way system (unlike the park outside). Limit capacity to 1000-1500 (unlike the park outside) at our ground for example which would probably work out at a ratio of 1 person to about 12 seats?

The science has said the virus is more of a risk indoors, yet the pubs and restaurants are open and I don't need a mask.

Hopefully we see some progress soon or at the very least some consistency

It’s cricket forum where a poster says he is disappointed he can’t watch his time, and even this turned into politics!

Perhaps that’s because a politician has made the decision to not let us into grounds......

Sometimes you can’t avoid facts, no matter how much certain posters would like to.
I fully appreciate we need to be careful, never once have I disputed that and believe common sense needs to be used. Unfortunately common sense is lacking in society which is why I sympathise with the government/other decision makers when introducing guidelines...…… however some of the guidelines in my opinion make no sense as I have mentioned;

- riverside park open and packed last weekend...… 200 yards away durham at home and fans are banned
- I need a mask for buy a pint of milk...….. I don't need a mask to go to the pub or restaurant, ironically I can attend the pub at the ground I am banned from watching cricket at
- NEPL cricket is open to the public...……
- Newcastle racecourse can host multiple social distancing open air gigs
- social distancing rules now scrapped in supermarkets.... wear a flimsy 20p mask is all you need to do now, no one way systems etc

The guidelines are changing on a daily basis and I hope common sense can prevail with the cricket and maybe other areas too. I think it's worthwhile giving it a go as you will have people monitoring social distance for example (unlike the park outside the ground), you can close off certain areas (unlike the park outside the ground), you could enforce a one way system and you could limit toilet usage for only a certain amount of people in each stand which would help with social distancing and a 1 way system (unlike the park outside). Limit capacity to 1000-1500 (unlike the park outside) at our ground for example which would probably work out at a ratio of 1 person to about 12 seats?

The science has said the virus is more of a risk indoors, yet the pubs and restaurants are open and I don't need a mask.

Hopefully we see some progress soon or at the very least some consistency

What’s your mate Howells said or done about it?

I'm disappointed my Mam and Dad can't come and visit their grandchild, I'm disappointed some of my friends have had to move to the EU, I'm disappointed that some of my customers have lost their businesses and are relying on charity food banks. Not being able to watch cricket is a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things (and I should have been at the last Test at OT, that would have been some day to watch).

It's a disappointing time, difference is that I didn't vote for all of these things. Put your head in the lion's mouth, don't whine when it bites your head off.

Of course cricket is not important in the bigger scheme of things nobody saying anything else.

It’s a cricket board that he has posted on, nowt to do with politics.

All he is saying is he disappointed he can’t watch his side, you taking it all out of context imo and making it about who you vote for!

Yep that’s the only point he is making.

Last edited:
Of course cricket is not important in the bigger scheme of things nobody saying anything else.

All he is saying is he disappointed he can’t watch his side, you taking it all out of context imo and making it about who you vote for!

Errrr, it's a direct consequence of the shambolic policy laid down by the government he voted for. The question was 'can someone explain this', the answer is inherently political.

I actually agree with him, it's a stupid policy that has everything arse about tit. But he voted for Boris Johnson if full knowledge he's a lying moron, so stop whining about Boris Johnson behaving like a lying moron.

What’s your mate Howells said or done about it?

I may well drop him an e-mail about it soon to be honest. All just seems a bit daft. I'll see what is said in this forthcoming review tomorrow

Just an opportunity for the poster to get personal. Leave him/her to it.
Politics is what it is and folk can point to that, it's unfortunate not being able to watch cricket...……. that said politics on the flip side for me, I look to be saving £2500-£3000 stamp duty on a house, so some good, some bad etc. Can't win them all

Last edited:

Back