Campsites

if you want a bit more basic, there's a beauty at Keld in N Yorkshire, bout 40 mins past scotch corner. its just on a farm, 2 camping fields one on the top looking over the valley and one on the bottom on the river side. no phone reception for miles, no electricity hook ups, theres a tiny shop in the farmhouse, and fire pits to use. theres a little shed to do the washing up, and a river that you can walk across to get washed in.

We were looking at one yesterday called the Quiet Site near Ullswater, it's fully booked when we want so must be popular. Lots of facilities so useful with young ones

Akebar park near leyburn
Or
Golden square near helmsley
Both great sites. I've a seasonal caravan at Akebar and love it. The kids are entertained all day long with the open spaces, play park, river etc. The onsite pub is brilliant and they have live music at weekends now. Also it's a good mix of people there. Can get lively but never too bad. I found Brompton on Swale to be a bit chavvy.

I’m looking for ideas for a family friendly campsite, I’ve got an 8 year old and a 2 year old. Couple of hours max from Newcastle, thinking up the coast in Northumberland or the lakes but open to ideas.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
If you want to rough it a bit, I cant recomend this place in Borrowdale enough: Stonethwaite Farm » Stonethwaite Borrowdale Bed and Breakfast

It's where a bunch of us dads take their lads/lasses for a break away. Its got cold running water and a toilet block, thats it.

A stream running through, beautiful surroundings and a short walk away to some great small waterfalls and river swimming spots, its class.

No mobile phone signal, gets the kids off the ipads and playing like we used to do as bairns, eating food from your open fires and pissing about in the field, getting washed in the stream.

Theres a pub within 20 minutes walk, and its about 20 mins drive into Keswick. Absolutely love the place.

Last edited:
If you want to rough it a bit, I cant recomend this place in Borrowdale enough: Stonethwaite Farm » Stonethwaite Borrowdale Bed and Breakfast

It's where a bunch of us dads take their lads/lasses for a break away. Its got cold running water and a toilet block, thats it.

A stream running through, beautiful surroundings and a short walk away to some great small waterfalls and river swimming spots, its class.

No mobile phone signal, gets the kids off the ipads and playing like we used to do as bairns, eating food from your open fires and pissing about in the field, getting washed in the stream.

Theres a pub within 20 minutes walk, and its about 20 mins drive into Keswick. Absolutely love the place.
Sounds brilliant, especially the bit about the ferns .

second all of this ^^ its a proper, traditional camp site. farmer comes round on his quad at the crack of dawn for payment. its rough, ready and absolutely class. another one round the corner is Seathwaite which is a bit more isolated but similar crack. i think if you are going to take kids camping, they need to rough it a bit. cooking on a fire, washing in a stream etc.. we always set up a little dam in the stream for milk and cans and that, kids love going 'the fridge' for you. having a poo behind a tree/rock and keeping the camp tidy. i can't bare these sites with designated camping bay, electric hook ups, no fires, shower blocks like a fancy hotel, all pristine grass and no sheep loitering around the tent, kids all sitting on expensive camping chairs playing on ipads. get a blanket down on the floor and stare up at the sky and mountains. gan get hypothermia in the stream, fall out of a tree and discover and sheep skeleton ffs

Back