Cambridge University Student Union

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Sidewinder2, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Sidewinder2

Sidewinder2 Winger

2. ajthemackem

ajthemackem Striker

It's a tricky one. We have a generation who've grown up seeing such things hijacked by the Far Right. Their view is probably understandably skewed.
    Need to start teaching what it actually means in schools again.

3. heroesof73

heroesof73 Striker

4. KST

KST Winger

Supposedly some of the best young minds in the world and they come out with shite like this. Fucking idiots like these give younger people a bad name...I'm a student myself.

As I said in my post though these people are meant to be some of the most intelligent in the world for their age.

If they can't distinguish between the far right and an act of rememberance for people who paid the ultimate price for us then the world is fucked.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    bobpc30, Keith S30S, zinedine and 6 others like this.
  5. ajthemackem

ajthemackem Striker

Kids being kids. Echo chambers at work. Peer pressure etc. It'll all come out in the wash.

Hawayawayawayaway and PTR like this.
  6. GlassSlippers

GlassSlippers Goalkeeper

The clue is in the title - Remembrance eg to remember the millions of people who have given up their lives to protect our freedom.

Unfortunately politicians have taken us to war purely to protect oil supplies etc and that has tarnished things in some people's minds.

The day never ever glorifies war, on the contrary, it's a very sad sombre day reflecting on the millions who have lost their lives .

bobpc30, ilovehorswill and coach13 like this.
  7. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Striker

Easy sorted, send them all to a place where war is actually glamourised, and freedoms reduced because of it, and see how long they last before being shot for not conforming.

I reckon about 10 minutes should do it.

GordonMuchallNo1Fan likes this.
  8. I think people need to read the story and stop being so reactionary. Why do they need to be 'more proactive' about it? Surely people can remember it is Remembrance Sunday.
    The motion itself was purely to stir up this sort of reaction and mock outrage. What happened to dignified silence?

9. janiep

janiep Striker

Pleased to see the place hasn’t changed much.

10. Tomma

Tomma Midfield

This makes me fucking furious.
    Remembering the sacrifices made is nothing short of a privilege and an honour. Bollocks to what you actually think about war per se, on this one day of the year there should be no other feelings than gratitude, sorrow and humility.

safcrhys., zinedine, Morse and 6 others like this.
  11. :lol: Give ower man, remembrance sunday hijacked?

Mind I don't think there is much in this story at all tbh.

ajthemackem likes this.
  12. ajthemackem

ajthemackem Striker

You know what I mean. The whole poppy debacle and wotnot.
    The reasoning behind it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

shepherd88 likes this.
  13. Ah actually aye, had forgotten about the whole poppy shenanigans.

ajthemackem likes this.
  14. Skandhaless

Skandhaless Striker

Awww now you have fucking done it :evil:

Ggrrrr.... :evil:

shepherd88 and ajthemackem like this.
  15. They're already getting death threats from the rabid right. That'll learn the little buggers not to honour the people who fought for their freedom of speech.

Nozs' Hat and janiep like this.
  16. Boris Bear

Boris Bear Striker

Oxford all the way

17. Big Dave 53

Big Dave 53 Winger

Well said - what a fucking joke!

18. Nozs' Hat

Nozs' Hat Central Defender

Be the same type of little shites that used to endorse the Pedo Information Exchange group.
    I hate war, would shit myself if there was a war and blokes were drafted like WW2. The death, the injuries and psychological trauma, hero’s everyone of the armed forces who fought to protect our freedom, and what we have today. Personally I think it should be mandatory that people observe the 11am silence on the day.

19. Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the posh posing ponces of the p.i.e. telling us that children have a right to enjoy sex . Fucking gobshites .

Nozs' Hat likes this.
  20. Arkle

Arkle Striker Contributor

Seems like a lot of people read the headline and not the story. It's exactly what you say it is. The local paper here isn't mentioning it. It's basically a non-story. Wouldn't be surprised if the person behind the motion had a relative working for the Telegraph.