Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

It's February, it's time to be thinking happy thoughts about what you'll be planting and eating this year.

I grow from seedlings not seed as I don't have a greenhouse and also have some time constraints. So just put my order in for:

tomatoes
summer cabbage
savoy cabbage
broccoli (calabrese)
purple sprouting broccoli
sprouts
celeriac
courgette
leek
pak choi
peas
broad beans
dwarf French beans
runners
aubergine
chillis
butternut squash
sweetcorn

Heavy on the brassicas this year. Love my brassicas me like.

@Cowvahlo @spitfire
I know there are more of us veg growers, sorry for not tagging everyone, can't remember who else is in.

Just been out gardening for the first time this year. Pruned the hydrangea which hopefully will be magnificent. Swept away some fallen leaves that stank. And my growing of vegetables is dire, so don't bother, it is easier to go to the local Turkish shop and buy theirs.
Good luck with yours!
I have hydrangeas in pots from cuttings from the mother-in-law. Love leaving the flower heads on over winter.

I'll be Looking for some advice as getting 3 big raised beds put in in late March. Total beginner, so what should I start with?

Also, should I be saving my rabbit's shit for feeding the plants?

I'll be Looking for some advice as getting 3 big raised beds put in in late March. Total beginner, so what should I start with?

Also, should I be saving my rabbit's shit for feeding the plants?

Loads of advice on the RHS site, but if you are a beginner I would go for a combination of things that you like, and things that you can't go wrong with i.e. aren't too much of a faff to grow or are not too prone to diseases/pests. In the second category are leeks, potatoes, runner beans, pumpkins (if you've got kids they'll love the fast growing pumpkins). Brassicas are a class apart from those you buy in the shops, but need protection from cabbage root fly (put discs of old felt around their roots) and butterflies (net them, or check every day and brush the little yellow eggs off) and slugs and snails (you need to be out with a torch every night while they're young, and you need to seek and destroy with no mercy). Sweet corn is also a revelation after shop bought. Do some fruit as well - hard to go wrong with strawberries.

I don't know about the rabbit shit but suspect not.

Nearly February.
I'll be starting my leeks off tomorrow - Mussleborough variety. Always a steady crop. Tried "Elephante" for this winter, but going back to the Mussleborough.
I've already got October sown broad beans coming through!!! About 8 weeks too early thanks to a mild winter.

Gonna start chitting the chetties this week. Take some out to France and grow the rest in grow sacks on the patio. I got some ace red & white striped beets last year, tasted a little milder than normal ones, but the leaves were ace in salads.

Don't think I've got enough muck in this time round in France for leeks, so probably go for onions & garlic.

At home it's the usual patio crops so peppers, chillis, aubergines, salads & strawberries and hoping the raspberry canes do as well as last summer when they were just heaving with fruit.

I have discussions with my sister about this. She is a gardener and says deadhead in the autumn. I like leaving them over winter and they look pretty if they get frost coverered.
Na, leave the heads on through the rest of the frost then cut them back hard for the new growth in the spring.

I used to grow loads of veg as a kid. I had some pumpkins that hadn't started growing properly and my Nana came and decided to weed the garden (she lived up the road) while my Mam was at work and I was at school. Got back and she'd uprooted and binned my pumpkin plants :cry:

Obviously I loved my nana to bits but that still rankles with me :lol:

Unfortunately I don't have the garden for it so have a box with a few pepper plants. Plus I grow tomatoes and tobacco for work anyway.

It's February, it's time to be thinking happy thoughts about what you'll be planting and eating this year.

I grow from seedlings not seed as I don't have a greenhouse and also have some time constraints. So just put my order in for:

tomatoes
summer cabbage
savoy cabbage
broccoli (calabrese)
purple sprouting broccoli
sprouts
celeriac
courgette
leek
pak choi
peas
broad beans
dwarf French beans
runners
aubergine
chillis
butternut squash

sweetcorn

Heavy on the brassicas this year. Love my brassicas me like.

@Cowvahlo @spitfire
I know there are more of us veg growers, sorry for not tagging everyone, can't remember who else is in.

That's a heck of a list. I do the bolded plus pumpkins, jalapeños, bell peppers (capsicums, plus a nice laugh, for you all), watermelons, kale, strawberries, blackberries, garlic, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas.

I'm way behind this year mostly due to a lot of storms over this side (Atlantic coast of Ireland) plus the fact that I redid my raised beds with scaffolding planks which rotted completely within 3 years.
Had a crap year for all fruit and veg last year and it's left me very dispirited so I'll follow this thread for a bit of inspiration.
Rhubarb starting to show, I've some very spindly Mussleburgh leeks that over-wintered. Spinach, spuds, kale, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and raspberries are my staples.
Add in broad beans, peas, courgettes and sweetcorn if I get the beds redone...

I'm way behind this year mostly due to a lot of storms over this side (Atlantic coast of Ireland) plus the fact that I redid my raised beds with scaffolding planks which rotted completely within 3 years.
Had a crap year for all fruit and veg last year and it's left me very dispirited so I'll follow this thread for a bit of inspiration.
Rhubarb starting to show, I've some very spindly Mussleburgh leeks that over-wintered. Spinach, spuds, kale, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants and raspberries are my staples.
Add in broad beans, peas, courgettes and sweetcorn if I get the beds redone...
*massive wave*. How you doing pet?

Back