Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Loads of advice on the RHS site, but if you are a beginner I would go for a combination of things that you like, and things that you can't go wrong with i.e. aren't too much of a faff to grow or are not too prone to diseases/pests. In the second category are leeks, potatoes, runner beans, pumpkins (if you've got kids they'll love the fast growing pumpkins). Brassicas are a class apart from those you buy in the shops, but need protection from cabbage root fly (put discs of old felt around their roots) and butterflies (net them, or check every day and brush the little yellow eggs off) and slugs and snails (you need to be out with a torch every night while they're young, and you need to seek and destroy with no mercy). Sweet corn is also a revelation after shop bought. Do some fruit as well - hard to go wrong with strawberries.

I don't know about the rabbit shit but suspect not.
Leeks, squash, peas, cabbage. Sounds like a plan. I would love to grown rasps as well. Are they easy?

Leeks, squash, peas, cabbage. Sounds like a plan. I would love to grown rasps as well. Are they easy?

Raspberries are a doddle as they're shallow rooted. They'll need a bit of support so if you've a fence, grow them alongside. Bit of netting to keep the birds off, though I don't bother... I don't mind sharing

It must be the weekend for it. I've been down the garden centre today and been sat at the dining table most of the afternoon, making up my planting plan. I'm not starting most things off for another month, but will get some leeks going on the windowsill in the next couple of days.

Has anyone had much success with greenhouse growing? What do you grow and what does well?

I got one a few years ago. It is brilliant for starting off seeds but apart from cucumbers, I have not had that much success. Two small peppers and tomatoes have been rubbish. The toms I have put outside have been rubbish too the last few tears, so I am going to buy from a different source this year.

It must be the weekend for it. I've been down the garden centre today and been sat at the dining table most of the afternoon, making up my planting plan. I'm not starting most things off for another month, but will get some leeks going on the windowsill in the next couple of days.

Has anyone had much success with greenhouse growing? What do you grow and what does well?

I got one a few years ago. It is brilliant for starting off seeds but apart from cucumbers, I have not had that much success. Two small peppers and tomatoes have been rubbish. The toms I have put outside have been rubbish too the last few tears, so I am going to buy from a different source this year.
Not greenhouse but a polytunnel... Tomatoes and cucumber as well as chillis do really well in it.
It's all about ventilation with greenhouses though
Very handy for growing herbs over winter too.
Cats sleep in mine mostly as it's warm and dry.

It's February, it's time to be thinking happy thoughts about what you'll be planting and eating this year.

I grow from seedlings not seed as I don't have a greenhouse and also have some time constraints. So just put my order in for:

tomatoes
summer cabbage
savoy cabbage
broccoli (calabrese)
purple sprouting broccoli
sprouts
celeriac
courgette
leek
pak choi
peas
broad beans
dwarf French beans
runners
aubergine
chillis
butternut squash
sweetcorn

Heavy on the brassicas this year. Love my brassicas me like.

@Cowvahlo @spitfire
I know there are more of us veg growers, sorry for not tagging everyone, can't remember who else is in.
Them lot must cost you a bomb!

I will be growing the usual stuff. Various tomatoes, cucumbers peppers etc in the green house. I have ditched the allotment and I am turning the bottom 30ft of my garden into a mini allotment instead. There will be onions, spuds, beet, carrots and runner beans in particular going in, plus all of the summer crops etc. May not get everything in that I want due to lack of time, as I have bloody great big dead apple tree to remove and load of raspberry canes which are running mental, and it seems I am not getting any time at all at weekends at the moment to push things on.

Back