Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

There may be a chance of getting an allotment this weekend. Would this year be a write off for growing (I assume the plots will be in a bit of a state)?

So I would have a few months to get the place sorted? Think I’ll pop up on Saturday and put my name in the mix.
You can start things like cabbages in trays then put them in beds when you do them. I'd suggest doing a few areas to plant this year.

Clear the land, put cardboard down and compost on top of that. That will help stop the weeds coming through and get you started. Then you can concentrate on getting tidied for next year.

The only downside is you need tons of compost. I've started to get a bit obsessed with it :lol:
Yeah, mind there's folks on facebook dropping it off for £20 a tonne, and it gets cheaper for a full dumper truck full - might be hard to get it dumped into the allotment though I suppose.

One off expense. After that, you should really have your own cooking away for next year.

Yeah, mind there's folks on facebook dropping it off for £20 a tonne, and it gets cheaper for a full dumper truck full - might be hard to get it dumped into the allotment though I suppose.

One off expense. After that, you should really have your own cooking away for next year.
It was filling the raised beds I'd made that took most of mine last year. Just needs a couple of inches top up after that. I buy it for seed starting but couldn't bring myself to buy it for anything else when it costs nothing to make.

There may be a chance of getting an allotment this weekend. Would this year be a write off for growing (I assume the plots will be in a bit of a state)?
There are loads of things I’ve not got planted out yet. Tomatoes and squashes are not big enough, courgettes have not germinated, peas beans and sweetcorn have only been out a week. If you go to a good garden centre where you can get the plants now, it will be more expensive than seed. Pot them up into bigger pots and plant them out in a few weeks, and you should be fine.

Just depends on how long it will take you to clear it. Don’t be too ambitious then be under a lot of self made pressure to get it all dug over and cleared, otherwise you instantly turn your new hobby into a massive chore and pressure, and it takes the shine off.

When I first dug my veggy garden, it took me 3 years to do properly, just added a couple more beds or did a bit more heavy work each year.

Just depends on how long it will take you to clear it. Don’t be too ambitious then be under a lot of self made pressure to get it all dug over and cleared, otherwise you instantly turn your new hobby into a massive chore and pressure, and it takes the shine off.

When I first dug my veggy garden, it took me 3 years to do properly, just added a couple more beds or did a bit more heavy work each year.
Agree with this 100%, that’s exactly what I’ve done. Concentrate on bits at a time and it’ll eventually come together.

Back