Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
They are canny hard to germinate and keep alive.

Out of 30 I have 4 giant sequoias growing.

Like you I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. Might plant them in hetton. Leave a landmark to myself.

Redwood fact. They were initially UK native but the last ice age stopped natural bush fire in the UK and it stopped them being able to reproduce.

So planting them isn't against UK law.....I think

Gone for spring onions, leeks, raddish, peas and garlic this year.

Normally go for tomatoes but my garden but I cannot be arsed this year.
Just as well it's not illegal. I've got one in my allotment.
Just looked at planting garlic to deter the pests as mentioned above, but seems I needed to plant it in winter, so too late now?
You could plant it as a deterrent but it won't bulb. I put mine in, in October.

Last edited:

My dad god bless him used to get great crops of tomatoes ,i decided to keep the tomato growing on but year after year i have a poor crop ,i grow them in black buckets are these too small ? i prune them back but my plants always seem to be all leaves and branches and no tomatoes ,any tips ?.

This year i've planted my tomato seeds late ,they are only about 3 inches high atm ,is it worth going on with them ? or buy some more mature one's from my local allotments ?.

My dad god bless him used to get great crops of tomatoes ,i decided to keep the tomato growing on but year after year i have a poor crop ,i grow them in black buckets are these too small ? i prune them back but my plants always seem to be all leaves and branches and no tomatoes ,any tips ?.

This year i've planted my tomato seeds late ,they are only about 3 inches high atm ,is it worth going on with them ? or buy some more mature one's from my local allotments ?.
If they are getting a lot of leaves and no tomatoes they may be getting too much nitrogen and not enough of the things they need. Buy a bottle of tomato fertiliser and follow the instructions. Tomatoes would be fine even planted now so don't worry.

If they are getting a lot of leaves and no tomatoes they may be getting too much nitrogen and not enough of the things they need. Buy a bottle of tomato fertiliser and follow the instructions. Tomatoes would be fine even planted now so don't worry.
Each year I often get a rogue tomato plant which sprouts far later than now. If that is something in an area where there is a bit of space or the crop I intended planting is not doing too well, then I just leave it. It can sometimes be late may before they start to appear. One year I didn’t do any care for one at all and it formed a bush of small very sweet tomatoes. It was my best plant that year.

Each year I often get a rogue tomato plant which sprouts far later than now. If that is something in an area where there is a bit of space or the crop I intended planting is not doing too well, then I just leave it. It can sometimes be late may before they start to appear. One year I didn’t do any care for one at all and it formed a bush of small very sweet tomatoes. It was my best plant that year.
I tried to over winter some chilies in my polytunnel (they died), but a tomato grew in the pot in a mild spell in February. I've planted it and it's got flowers now covered with fleece. It's nice if they come good but I never expect it.

depends on the variety of the tomato. Try topping after 5 or 6 trusses. I always thin out the plant by taking out out the growth that tends to grow between the trunk and branch.
they do love water mind and water from the bottom. How you treat them, depends on a few things and how the description on the seed packet describes how to grow. I would not put any outside at the moment (in north east)and wont until June. In fact I will be growing from seed this weekend.
thing to do, is try something and be willing to adapt until you find the best way for you

depends on the variety of the tomato. Try topping after 5 or 6 trusses. I always thin out the plant by taking out out the growth that tends to grow between the trunk and branch.
they do love water mind and water from the bottom. How you treat them, depends on a few things and how the description on the seed packet describes how to grow. I would not put any outside at the moment (in north east)and wont until June. In fact I will be growing from seed this weekend.
thing to do, is try something and be willing to adapt until you find the best way for you
Was looking at the Real Seeds website Quality Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue UK. and they had tomato seeds from breeds originally the Ukraine, Siberia and Canada which are presumably as hard as fook and go out in a vest in February.

May try some of these out in my back garden next year.

Could you explain that a little more please?

Think he means taking out the shoots/suckers between the main stem and the leaf joints.

I always stop mine at 4 trusses, as it promotes bigger fruit, but I have 16 plants in a 12' x 6' greenhouse. I also sometimes cut the first truss off completely if its poor as they sometimes are.

Once the first true truss has decent fruit on it I remove all the leaves below it, otherwise your feed is going into the leaves instead of the fruit. Same with second truss.

Think he means taking out the shoots/suckers between the main stem and the leaf joints.
I always stop mine at 4 trusses, as it promotes bigger fruit, but I have 16 plants in a 12' x 6' greenhouse. I also sometimes cut the first truss off completely if its poor as they sometimes are.
Once the first true truss has decent fruit on it I remove all the leaves below it, otherwise your feed is going into the leaves instead of the fruit. Same with second truss.
The suckers is something I learned last year. Are you saying I should let the first 4 grown, then pinch out the rest?
How tall should I let it grow? I didn't stop the suckers at all last year until right at the end - would they grow even taller if I stopped their lateral growth this way, or do they have a fixed max-height?

Sorry, I'm really new to all this.

The suckers is something I learned last year. Are you saying I should let the first 4 grown, then pinch out the rest?
How tall should I let it grow? I didn't stop the suckers at all last year until right at the end - would they grow even taller if I stopped their lateral growth this way, or do they have a fixed max-height?

Sorry, I'm really new to all this.

The main stem of you plant should only have leaves and fruit bearing 'trusses', pinch out all side shoots that appear right in the joint of the main stem and leaf. Usually the size of your thumb nail. How many fruit bearing trusses is up to you. I stop mine at 4 but 5 is common. Stop the plant growing by cutting the growing tip off.

Could you explain that a little more please?
Socrates is right.

some plants, the seed company use, are designed to be bush plants, that are just left to grow as they please. I used to grow heinze 1370

I used these for a couple of years, in order to grow outside in the sunny parts.

despite saying no need to remove side shoots, I prefer to. I always stake the plants as well.

They grow canny outside, but dont put them outside until June.

I have also used dobies on line catalogue and they had a few varieties that are used to grow in northern Europe, so dont need the intense heat.

generally though, the sunny it is and the smaller the tomato (cherry) the tastier the fruit.
I usually have reasonable success with them but they are always plagued with aphids. Any tips to avoid this. I spray with soapy water but seems to have minimal effect.
plant marigolds at the bottom of the plant. Ive been told the aroma deters aphids

Last edited:
I usually have reasonable success with them but they are always plagued with aphids. Any tips to avoid this. I spray with soapy water but seems to have minimal effect.
Sounds like I'm taking the piss, but try a bit of jam. Just a cheap one will do, or my wife made some plum jam that is not very nice. If in a greenhouse it will need the doors open to work.

The jam attracts predators such as wasps and they eat the aphids while they are at it. I often get them on my windowsill herbs so I just put them outside during the day with a blob of jam on.

Plant marigolds close by. Aphids, blackfly, greenfly etc. love them, and go for them first.

Also, when you get flowers, take a small paint brush, and get the pollen, and rub the pollen on to other flower stamens from plant to plant, therefor making sure they all get pollinated to create the fruit.

Last edited:

Back