Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

I'll be Looking for some advice as getting 3 big raised beds put in in late March. Total beginner, so what should I start with?

Also, should I be saving my rabbit's shit for feeding the plants?
No, rabbit shit is no good. Cow manure is good as it's been digested more so less chdnce of weeds in the manure. If you go for horse muck then get well rotted stuff, not fresh.
Chicken shit is good, but needs diluting as very high in nitrogen. A nettle tea is good as well but with all of the above you don't need lots of it as plants can only absorb so much nutrients.

What happened to @Cowvahlo 's leek club?
Divorce mate, that's what happened! Scuppered my growing season last year and I'm still suffering now. Had a month out of the house where the leeks and onions didn't get looked after properly so went belly up. Got nothing growing at the minute apart from weeds!

It's February, it's time to be thinking happy thoughts about what you'll be planting and eating this year.

I grow from seedlings not seed as I don't have a greenhouse and also have some time constraints. So just put my order in for:

tomatoes
summer cabbage
savoy cabbage
broccoli (calabrese)
purple sprouting broccoli
sprouts
celeriac
courgette
leek
pak choi
peas
broad beans
dwarf French beans
runners
aubergine
chillis
butternut squash
sweetcorn

Heavy on the brassicas this year. Love my brassicas me like.

@Cowvahlo @spitfire
I know there are more of us veg growers, sorry for not tagging everyone, can't remember who else is in.
You go for it Janie girl!! How do you find the broccoli? I found that it was a bit of a chew on for little results but that was probably due to me having a holiday at the wrong time and losing most of it to caterpillars!

Think this year I'll get a load of toms and beetroot away and a few leeks for the show but will spend the year prepping for autumn when I'll go for it again properly.

Last edited:
Right then novice and new to the gardening club. I have my seed packets ready to go.
Last year was a disaster. Must have better luck this time.

Right then novice and new to the gardening club. I have my seed packets ready to go.

My advice is not to start too early. I have been out doing some other jobs in the garden this morning and by the time I came in for dinner, I was freezing. No point in planting much out there at the moment.

Do you know why it was a disaster last year?

My advice is not to start too early. I have been out doing some other jobs in the garden this morning and by the time I came in for dinner, I was freezing. No point in planting much out there at the moment.

His leek trench was on the San Andreas fault.

From talking to other veg growers nobody had a good year last year.... Weather related ?

Keep trying

My advice is not to start too early. I have been out doing some other jobs in the garden this morning and by the time I came in for dinner, I was freezing. No point in planting much out there at the moment

Apparently you should be able to sit bare-arsed on the soil comfortably when the conditions are right for planting. :D

I have nothing much to add to this since my greenhouse blew away however I've been made aware of plans to build a village farm type affair on the Vaux Site. I'm not sure how advanced they are other than a small scale model and a survey being sent out to ask if people want to see one.
I've no idea whether they have spoken to the owners of the land.

I really miss my pottering in the greenhouse but no use for one in this heat. I am somewhat consoled by having a truly magnificent bush to look at everyday instead. An absolute beauty so it is.

From talking to other veg growers nobody had a good year last year.... Weather related ?

Keep trying

Apparently you should be able to sit bare-arsed on the soil comfortably when the conditions are right for planting. :D
Aye. No sun to speak of last year! Am hopeless n all like. Got some seeds done yesterday so will see what this year brings

Excellent advice. At the start of the year I booked this Thursday and Friday off for a couple of days gardening, gambling the weather would be right by then. That should get the neighbours gossiping.

I have nothing much to add to this since my greenhouse blew away however I've been made aware of plans to build a village farm type affair on the Vaux Site. I'm not sure how advanced they are other than a small scale model and a survey being sent out to ask if people want to see one.
I've no idea whether they have spoken to the owners of the land.
Two things.
One for some reason I sniggered at your greenhouse blowing away. Sorry.

Second. The village farm idea sounds brilliant doesn't it.

Two things.
One for some reason I sniggered at your greenhouse blowing away. Sorry.

Second. The village farm idea sounds brilliant doesn't it.
I laughed at the greenhouse, was sick of the thing anyway.

I'm not convinced that the village farm is a brilliant idea at that location. I understand why they want it there but it can only ever be temporary. I'd prefer something a bit more long term.
There's been so much politics regarding that site, this would be an additional complication that isn't needed. If it was a success for say two years and then building work started, people would kick off and demand it stayed. There must be better locations.

August last year was too wet basically.:cry:

Weather's picking up nice now.
Spuds are getting chitted ready for planting - first earlies usually around St Patricks day (weather depending).
Tomato & aubergine plants doing well on the windowsill.

I'll get the soil turned over and get the parsnip seeds in later on today, also the garlic & shallots can go in this week.
Plenty to do now.
Here's hoping for a good year.

Back