Calculating Daily Caloric Requirements - Read Before Asking For Diet Advise

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26533

Right, I'm going to quickly go over how to get an estimate of daily intake requirements.

Firstly, you'll need to calculate your Lean Body Mass (LBM):

100 - Bodyfat% x total weight (kg) /100 = LBM

Then using your lean body mass, calculate Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR):

LBM x 21.6 + 370 = BMR

Once you have your BMR, multiply that against the following criteria:

1.2 = Sedentary
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (A majority find they fall into this category)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active

From that you have an estimate of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). To gain weight, it is recommended that you eat 10-20% over your total daily energy expendature, creating a significant calorie surplus, the opposite if trying to reduce weight efficiently.

This formula, although deemed one of the most accurate is just providing that, an estimate, so tweak your diet accordingly.

Correct the spelling mistake in the title anarl please :lol:

Do you not want to also explain how to work out your Body Fat Percentage [BFP]?

Probably the most common is using a skin fold caliper, you can get them off ebay for pennies. There are more advanced methods, but if done correctly a skin fold caliper will give you a decent enough estimation.

Probably the most common is using a skin fold caliper, you can get them off ebay for pennies. There are more advanced methods, but if done correctly a skin fold caliper will give you a decent enough estimation.
Not if all my fat is in the form of 'suet'.

Right, I'm going to quickly go over how to get an estimate of daily intake requirements.

Firstly, you'll need to calculate your Lean Body Mass (LBM):

100 - Bodyfat% x total weight (kg) /100 = LBM

Then using your lean body mass, calculate Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR):

LBM x 21.6 + 370 = BMR

Once you have your BMR, multiply that against the following criteria:

1.2 = Sedentary
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (A majority find they fall into this category)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active

From that you have an estimate of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). To gain weight, it is recommended that you eat 10-20% over your total daily energy expendature, creating a significant calorie surplus, the opposite if trying to reduce weight efficiently.

This formula, although deemed one of the most accurate is just providing that, an estimate, so tweak your diet accordingly.

Cheers for that.

Owt between 2650 and 3000 using the 10-20% criteria. Might have a bit more fruit to up it. Not gonna be so rigourous on a Sarrada though. Just been for a 4 mile walk but that could be it for the day cos it's gonna piss down by the looks of it. :mad:

Cheers for that.

Owt between 2650 and 3000 using the 10-20% criteria. Might have a bit more fruit to up it. Not gonna be so rigourous on a Sarrada though. Just been for a 4 mile walk but that could be it for the day cos it's gonna piss down by the looks of it. :mad:

f***ing hail stones. While I was out running anarl.

f***ing hail stones. While I was out running anarl.

Went out on the bike about 7pm cos it looked ok. Got all the way across the other side of Pompey and it started to piss down! Could wrung me skin out by the time I got home. :mad:

f***ing stopped just after I got indoors anarl. :evil:

Forgive my naivety mate, but worked it out and got a BMR of 2985. Now what? what does this number mean?
I used some fat calipers to get get my first measurements but think it could be wrong 'cos a don't reckon I've got 14% body fat.

Forgive my naivety mate, but worked it out and got a BMR of 2985. Now what? what does this number mean?
I used some fat calipers to get get my first measurements but think it could be wrong 'cos a don't reckon I've got 14% body fat.

Do you mean total daily energy expenditure? With that number you can start to determine your macronutrient requirements, relative to your goals. What is it you're looking to achieve mate and I'll help out.

Aye thats the one, sorry mate.
Trying to lose body fat, hopefully.
As well as the getting fitter and trying to get a more, ha well defined.

Aye thats the one, sorry mate.
Trying to lose body fat, hopefully.
As well as the getting fitter and trying to get a more, ha well defined.

Well around 2400kcal seems like a decent starting point. Shoot for around 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, you can even get away with lower tbh. 0.5-1g of fat per lb of bodyweight and comprise the rest of carbs. Providing you're hitting your calorie requirements, a decent amount of protein and fats, the composition of the macronutrients is more down to personal preference.

just tell is to piss off if a start getting on your tits, but..
Right so I've worked it out through my brilliant math skills, that to lose weight I should 191g of protein a day, I went with 0.7 for the fat, so it came out at 133g, do i just make the crabs up but not go as high as say the fat in take?
This might be a daft question but, how do you keep track of all this? do you use a phone app or just a bit pen and paper? and say if I have a chicken breast or a sausage sarnie how would I get the protein/fat value of it?

just tell is to piss off if a start getting on your tits, but..
Right so I've worked it out through my brilliant math skills, that to lose weight I should 191g of protein a day, I went with 0.7 for the fat, so it came out at 133g, do i just make the crabs up but not go as high as say the fat in take?
This might be a daft question but, how do you keep track of all this? do you use a phone app or just a bit pen and paper? and say if I have a chicken breast or a sausage sarnie how would I get the protein/fat value of it?

Well that leaves you with around 137g of carbs, but to be honest you could lower both fat and protein slightly and get the extra calories from carbs if you wanted.

I use an iPhone app called MyMacros+. Buy some cheap kitchen scales if you don't have some already and look for the values on the packaging, then weigh to desired values mate.

Well that leaves you with around 137g of carbs, but to be honest you could lower both fat and protein slightly and get the extra calories from carbs if you wanted.

I use an iPhone app called MyMacros+. Buy some cheap kitchen scales if you don't have some already and look for the values on the packaging, then weigh to desired values mate.

Can't get that app on Android but I have somethig that does a similar thing (I think). I may be thinking about it a bit to much, but its things like when i get my tea made for me, how will I know the values in it.
Sorry with all the questions mate just want to givee it a good go

Mine came out at 2800 ish. Bf was measured on one of them machines in boots. Not terribly accurate but.......

I want to gain muscle but could do with dropping bf also. Any adVIce Titus?

Train 3-4 days split, could maybe show my routine as deffo needs improving. With about three hours or so footy a week (5aside).

Mine came out at 2800 ish. Bf was measured on one of them machines in boots. Not terribly accurate but.......

I want to gain muscle but could do with dropping bf also. Any adVIce Titus?

Train 3-4 days split, could maybe show my routine as deffo needs improving. With about three hours or so footy a week (5aside).

It's really difficult to lose bodyfat and gain muscle over long periods, though as a beginner you might see a bit of both for a couple of weeks. I've seen a lot of good results from carb backloading and alternate day fasting though. If you run similar sort of diets/eating plans you may well see some fat loss as well as muscle gain if you're on the money with your calorie deficit.

It's really difficult to lose bodyfat and gain muscle over long periods, though as a beginner you might see a bit of both for a couple of weeks. I've seen a lot of good results from carb backloading and alternate day fasting though. If you run similar sort of diets/eating plans you may well see some fat loss as well as muscle gain if you're on the money with your calorie deficit.

Mate to me this makes no sense whats so ever?

Yeh, to be honest I think I'll stick with bulking (so to speak for a couple of weeks then try and cut a bit in the next few weeks).

I say bulking but I eat pretty healthy stuff and lots of it some days and not so much on others. A lot of days atm I would say anywhere between 2000-2800 cals most days but some days I'll eat healthy ish and do 3000-3500 (Basically just eat what I want and when I want).

Carbs and fat amounts is what I'm after.... What is sensible when wanting to cut etc. I train at 6.30am so don't eat before so often don't bother with a lot of carbs but I know they are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back