Cairns Road Fulwell Trees .... Butchered today

why shocking? don't they get professional tree surgeons to do risk assessments to see if theres any risk to the public?

can you imagine a a tree surgeon said a tree was medium risk of coming down in high winds, the council decided to leave it up as it looks nice, and it come down and killed a kid?

unless i've got the wrong end of the stick. on our building sites the second theres a tree anywhere near, its usually easier to move the new building away from the tree than chop it down

It's more the actual work they do, they have their own team but let's say they're inexperienced as the understatement (aimed at Newcastle). There's someone on Skyscrapercity who is always going on about it and talking how things should be done properly there and taking photos of their erm less poor work. He used to work for them, years ago.

Quite interesting but sad at the same time.

Last edited:

There used to be loads between the Backhouse Park entrance and St. Aidan's on Ashbrooke Road. They had white bands painted around them so drivers could see them.

Last edited:
The huge ash trees in Cairns Road had grown too big and were an accident waiting to happen. Every time there was a bit of wind the street was covered in branches, they also interfered with the telephone lines.
I am also led to believe that to meet its environmental obligations, all felled trees are to be replaced, hopefully with a more manageable species. The more observant of you will have noticed several new trees have already been planted in this street.

The huge ash trees in Cairns Road had grown too big and were an accident waiting to happen. Every time there was a bit of wind the street was covered in branches, they also interfered with the telephone lines.
I am also led to believe that to meet its environmental obligations, all felled trees are to be replaced, hopefully with a more manageable species. The more observant of you will have noticed several new trees have already been planted in this street.
They might have had ash die back
Get some horse chestnuts up

our street is tree lined and it looks lovely, but some of them have been taken down over the last few years and replaced with baby trees, theres a one directly outside my house

don't see anything wrong with it, unless we are expecting the council to come down every street at constantly maintain and trim these massive trees.

SCC are quite good on the replanting of trees tbf.

our street is tree lined and it looks lovely, but some of them have been taken down over the last few years and replaced with baby trees, theres a one directly outside my house

don't see anything wrong with it, unless we are expecting the council to come down every street at constantly maintain and trim these massive trees.

If you've got a very young kid you could take a picture of them together at the same time every year (say a birthday) and watch them grow together.

Cllr Hartnacker has confirmed they were removed due to ash die back. So totally justified in removing and they have said they will be replaced with new trees.

Mind, he's right in that the council were poor in not informing residents. Very short sighted.

All the trees around here have presentation orders on them. We’ve just had some branches taken off a massive Lime tree and it was a right faff on getting the council to agree, I don’t think they cut down mature trees on a whim

Cllr Hartnacker has confirmed they were removed due to ash die back. So totally justified in removing and they have said they will be replaced with new trees.

Mind, he's right in that the council were poor in not informing residents. Very short sighted.

He seems to be very active today mind

Back