Cairns Road Fulwell Trees .... Butchered today

TB22

Midfield
Quite rightly a massive reaction to the Hadrians Wall Sycamore tree felled by vandals . What a disaster . Today even though its probably been agreed by City Council a total of THREE massive trees which have been a feature of this fine street for 100 years were cut down by tree butchers . We live just round the corner and feel the legislation regarding the right to destroy these landmarks needs reviewing . What the FFF is going on Sunderland Council. ??

Quite rightly a massive reaction to the Hadrians Wall Sycamore tree felled by vandals . What a disaster . Today even though its probably been agreed by City Council a total of THREE massive trees which have been a feature of this fine street for 100 years were cut down by tree butchers . We live just round the corner and feel the legislation regarding the right to destroy these landmarks needs reviewing . What the FFF is going on Sunderland Council. ??
Loads of councils have been chopping trees down, yep 1sycamore tree has world wide wailing and gnashing of teeth, but I bet the amount of healthy trees councils have walloped will be in the1000s across the country

theres 110 just by 1council

Last edited:
The council tree departments in the North East are absolutely shocking lately. Feel like it's dumb and dumber working in them. Newcastle CC are particularly bad.

The council tree departments in the North East are absolutely shocking lately. Feel like it's dumb and dumber working in them. Newcastle CC are particularly bad.

why shocking? don't they get professional tree surgeons to do risk assessments to see if theres any risk to the public?

can you imagine a a tree surgeon said a tree was medium risk of coming down in high winds, the council decided to leave it up as it looks nice, and it come down and killed a kid?

unless i've got the wrong end of the stick. on our building sites the second theres a tree anywhere near, its usually easier to move the new building away from the tree than chop it down

Loads of councils have been chopping trees down, yep 1sycamore tree has world wide wailing and gnashing of teeth, but I bet the amount of healthy trees councils have walloped will be in the1000s across the country

theres 110 just by 1council
Remember those sneaky council fuckers down south who shipped in a team to chop every tree in their town centre overnight.

Found it:
This is the stuff that I get most annoyed about, because that's damaging the environment, ecology, and people's day to day happiness (yes, trees passively make people happy).

I appreciate that sometimes you do sometimes need to clear a site, but you really need to create a new one beforehand and make it clear what you're doing.

Remember those sneaky council fuckers down south who shipped in a team to chop every tree in their town centre overnight.

Found it:
This is the stuff that I get most annoyed about, because that's damaging the environment, ecology, and people's day to day happiness (yes, trees passively make people happy).

I appreciate that sometimes you do sometimes need to clear a site, but you really need to create a new one beforehand and make it clear what you're doing.
Can understand if they are diseased or dead, but yep, middle of the night zipping in to take 100+ Mature trees out smacks of bs council shenanigans

When i lived by Newcastle Road a few trees were cut down because the high winds had literally cracked the pavement round the base of the trees with it moving backwards and forwards..the woman who lived opposite me pointed it out one night when I got home..the cracks in the ground were about 8 foot long in all directions.

My 3 year old grandson used to "Hug" these trees every time he passed . He will be gutted

The Council should be legally obliged to post a notice about what is planned .

Totally agree. I don’t live too far away from Cairns Road and the amount of trees I’ve seen cut down in the past 20 years I’ve lived in the area is ridiculous. These are old, well established trees which are not diseased and don’t appear to pose any threat to safety or property. The other annoying aspect is that there seems to be a lot of residents that don’t particularly care. I know of a number who have requested that trees are cut down for no good reason that I can see.

Im getting 5 cut down at work the root are in the drains and are lifting the car park tarmac.
Needs must im afraid.
Poplars? I think they are massive mind shame.

Round the likes of Ashbrooke and east Boldon the trees are massively out of control and are having an oposite effect.
There’s a church on Front st Boldon towards blacks corner and the grounds are a right clip due to out of control trees.

Back