Buying tyres

keybuk

Midfield
Just been a national chain. Price offered was about £20 in total over the internet price. Challenged it and after a lot of procrastination he said yes order it on line. FFS you have to match your website.

I've used a mobile fitter for years, just tell him where you'll be (Work, home, mates house) and he'll turn up and replace your tyres in about 10 mins a corner.

used this chap last time , prices were there or thereabouts and fitted them on the drive , good service.

I’d previously had a run in with KF , tyres were cheaper on the website than in store , jobs worth manager wouldn’t price match his own company , it’s the rules you know.

Moron.
I have bouycoutted Kwik fit ever since they quoted for Pirelli tyres but tried to fit budgets onto my car.

Speak as you find - Kwikfit have always been good for me. I’ve used them for high performance tyres costing a fortune some time ago, 4x4 tyres and punctures. Always willing to negotiate with ATS prices and fine to deal with in store.

Just been a national chain. Price offered was about £20 in total over the internet price. Challenged it and after a lot of procrastination he said yes order it on line. FFS you have to match your website.
Often layers to all these companies and each layer will have diff cost bases and margins to make .The clever marketing guy wants a street presence at good margins then wants a flashy low cost web business making good margins and doesn't care how they effect each other

Amazes me that people still use Kwik Fit

used this chap last time , prices were there or thereabouts and fitted them on the drive , good service.

I’d previously had a run in with KF , tyres were cheaper on the website than in store , jobs worth manager wouldn’t price match his own company , it’s the rules you know.

Moron.
Ah sure he used to do fittings for black circles a while back, bookmarked, thanks

Last edited:
Never used KwikFit since they badly fitted an exhaust on my 1988 Cavalier.

Picked it up on the Friday and it was knocking all weekend, took it back on the Monday and they workshop manager put it up on the ramp.
He looked at it for 10 seconds, went off to the office and came back with the fitter, gave him a dressing down and got someone else to refit it.

Lost all confidence that horrendous work could be done and nothing got checked, luckily it wasn't tyres or brakes.

Moron.

used Peter for years, always been spot on. Prices can be slightly higher sometimes but its worth it for the service imo

Been using black circles for a few years now. The garage they used in Peterlee was terrible - made a right mess, so I paid the extra for a mobile fitter from Gilesgate to come over and do them - been spot on.

But last time they weren't available, but they had a deal for ATS to do them for nowt if you were a key worker (which we both are). Oddly, he warned me after to "pop in if you have any bother, as balancing on the van isn't always ideal".
And lo and behold, the balance on all 4 corners was terrible. I had an awful vibration above 60mph.

Nearest ATS is 10+miles away, so that's a fuck on. So I just paid my local garage to sort them out for £20.

So black circles = fine
ATS mobile fitting, imo, avoid.

Never used KwikFit since they badly fitted an exhaust on my 1988 Cavalier.

Picked it up on the Friday and it was knocking all weekend, took it back on the Monday and they workshop manager put it up on the ramp.
He looked at it for 10 seconds, went off to the office and came back with the fitter, gave him a dressing down and got someone else to refit it.

Lost all confidence that horrendous work could be done and nothing got checked, luckily it wasn't tyres or brakes.

It's probably 30 years since I used Kwikfit. Our last interaction when I went in for an MOT and two rear tyres went something like this: 'Your exhaust is marginal mate, I would replace it if I were you.' 'Aye, crack on and fit a new one mate, you fitted that one at MOT time last year and it has a two year warranty.' ......'Well it's not a FAIL, so I'll leave it for now...'

I believe kwik fit are franchises? I had terrible service from the one in town year ago. I had restored a car and it failed it's emissions so they tried to sell me a new cat, turned out it just needed a run from being sitting around for months. I've used the one at the Wheatshef a couple of times for replacing the Crossclimates on my current car and they've always beat the other prices I got and had them on the shelf.

Must be a good while since we've had a tyre thread like.
The tyre snobs will be along soon extolling the properties of ridiculously priced high-end of the market tyres. :rolleyes:
By all means, keep buying Chinese crap that you have to replace within a year. I will stick to Continentals.

Back