Buying things from the US of A

the major shippers dhl, ups etc. will get you everytime as they want their admin fee. I buy vape equipment from china and always pick a non courier option for delivery so its ok....... I did pick up a tablet one time and the only option was dhl needlesstosay cost me £24 in duty

Bought a few outboard motor parts last year and the tax on the parts wasn’t bad but the handling fees the post office charged was unreasonable imo.

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/International-customs-charges-leaflet-Jan-2017.pdf

Our handling fee To make sure you get your item as quickly as possible, we pay HMRC any Import VAT and/or Customs Duty charges on your behalf. We then send you a “Fee to Pay” card, showing how much you need to pay before you can receive your item. The amount you need to pay includes our £8 handling fee. This covers the costs for clearing the item through the customs process and presenting it to Border Force

They seem to do a canny bit, including "bridging" some fees (that I guess they won't get back if the parcel is not collected or rejected!). If a solicitor/accountant was doing that for you then the fee would no doubt be eye watering.

You probably pay 20% VAT, only a few % duty, but if sent by USPS which most stuff from the USA tends to be, it will arrive via Parcelforce express and that will be the killer as they will keep it for a couple of weeks and then charge you £13.50 for the privilege of importing it.

Yeah, I think I was charged about £17 on a box set that cost about £60, that was a while ago though.

Depends what you are ordering. I buy cigars from the US because they are about 66% cheaper even taking into account postage. The store selling them usually labels the package as 'candles' so even if they have to be x-rayed you have a chance. Have never paid a penny of duty over the years, and quite rightly so, because the tariff on imported cigars is outrageously high. However from 2019 there will be 8,000 more customs officers employed to prevent this, so well f*cking done you Brexiteering c*nts, I hope you are f*cking happy with your blue passports and skyrocketing prices when we leave the EU.
Who do you get the cigars from?

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/International-customs-charges-leaflet-Jan-2017.pdf

Our handling fee To make sure you get your item as quickly as possible, we pay HMRC any Import VAT and/or Customs Duty charges on your behalf. We then send you a “Fee to Pay” card, showing how much you need to pay before you can receive your item. The amount you need to pay includes our £8 handling fee. This covers the costs for clearing the item through the customs process and presenting it to Border Force

They seem to do a canny bit, including "bridging" some fees (that I guess they won't get back if the parcel is not collected or rejected!). If a solicitor/accountant was doing that for you then the fee would no doubt be eye watering.
It’s only a matter of time another provider taps into that. £8 to deliver a card telling me that my item is a 15 mile round trip away. Thanks Royal Mail could clic and collect do it cheaper?

Back