Buying things from the US of A

I don't know, but who are you buying from? If you can ask them to mark it as a gift then it should get through without issue. I've ordered a few games from the States using this method and never had problems.

I don't know, but who are you buying from? If you can ask them to mark it as a gift then it should get through without issue. I've ordered a few games from the States using this method and never had problems.
It's a sports supplement company, their products aren't available in the UK yet.

Yeah, some sellers will mark as a gift.

When I was a lot younger I had no idea what import tax was but bought a DSLR camera from US eBay when the £ to $ exchange was great. UPS stung me for about a third of the value of the camera in import tax :cry:

Logon or register to see this image

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad: Tax and duty

Yeah, some sellers will mark as a gift.

When I was a lot younger I had no idea what import tax was but bought a DSLR camera from US eBay when the £ to $ exchange was great. UPS stung me for about a third of the value of the camera in import tax :cry:

Logon or register to see this image

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad: Tax and duty
When my ex moved over here from Japan to live she posted a box of clothing and stuff over for when she arrived. Naively, she marked the goods by their actual newly bought price and was hit with a massive customs charge. Was pretty harsh but quite funny at the same time.

A mate buys legit watches from the Far East on eBay and has em marked as gifts. Sent to 4 or 5 addresses. Knocks em out a few months later after wearing for double the price.

I bought an iPad from a bloke in the states a few years ago , not only did he mark it as a gift he put this ridiculous love letter in with it too - felt a bit odd about it !

What's the import tax gonna be on something that costs 30 dollars plus postage?

I import dietary supplements and import charges is canny high like.

Think on a £240 order the import charges bump it up to nearer £300.

I bought an iPad from a bloke in the states a few years ago , not only did he mark it as a gift he put this ridiculous love letter in with it too - felt a bit odd about it !
Did you a proper good turn, in fairness.

I imported some pepper sprays from the USA when I was living in Sweden.

The sellers marked the packages as containing something entirely different and they all came through ok.

Depends what you are ordering. I buy cigars from the US because they are about 66% cheaper even taking into account postage. The store selling them usually labels the package as 'candles' so even if they have to be x-rayed you have a chance. Have never paid a penny of duty over the years, and quite rightly so, because the tariff on imported cigars is outrageously high. However from 2019 there will be 8,000 more customs officers employed to prevent this, so well f*cking done you Brexiteering c*nts, I hope you are f*cking happy with your blue passports and skyrocketing prices when we leave the EU.

Last edited:
You probably pay 20% VAT, only a few % duty, but if sent by USPS which most stuff from the USA tends to be, it will arrive via Parcelforce express and that will be the killer as they will keep it for a couple of weeks and then charge you £13.50 for the privilege of importing it.

Back