Buying chicken breasts - best value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no just a larger version of something you would get in a supermarket

Like this sort of packaging?

Logon or register to see this image

The supermarkets charge about £13 per KG for free range, corn fed chicken breasts, so presuming they're of equal quality then that's a bit of a bargain.

Considering most butchers knock out 5kg of very dubious quality chicken for about £25 too.

Like this sort of packaging?

Logon or register to see this image

The supermarkets charge about £13 per KG for free range, corn fed chicken breasts, so presuming they're of equal quality then that's a bit of a bargain.

Considering most butchers knock out 5kg of very dubious quality chicken for about £25 too.
yer, like a supersized one of them.

I'm cooking with them tonight, I'll report back to how much water comes out. The ones the likes of musclefood do are about 50% water, minging.

tucking into one now. Water wise - about on par with Sainsburys standard. Retained a decent colour once cooked. Average weight about 185g once trimmed of that bloody gristlely bit chicken breasts have. I'd buy again due to them all being large which makes splitting them easier and location and the farm shop. Quality is equal to supermarket, better than musclefood.

5kg for £25 from a farm shop is superb, presuming they're not just knocking out battery imported stuff cheap.

Got some from McMurchies in Hetton. Git big sign on the side of the shop saying they only sell British meat. Chicken mustn't count. :lol:

McMurchies in Hetton, we swear by the place mate. He does a 5kg pack for £20 and its quality like.

On another note try his sauces he makes, Diane,Wild Mushroom, Red wine as they f***ing lovely!

It is a great butchers imo and the chicken is good value but it isn't British which seems to put some people off.

Who's the lad on here who won't buy beef without seeing the cow's birth certificate?
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
some yes.. most no... just glorified greengrocers and butchers... they will sell whatever they can get hold of
Its my pet peeve going into farm shops that are no such thing, most of the stuff is bog standard factory produced stuff dressed up in home made style packaging with a huge markup. Used to buy a lot of stuff from Bearpark farm never looked the most hygienic but was always fantastic quality and either from his herd or one of the farms around. Never been for ages so not sure what its like now.

Got some from McMurchies in Hetton. Git big sign on the side of the shop saying they only sell British meat. Chicken mustn't count. :lol:

It is a great butchers imo and the chicken is good value but it isn't British which seems to put some people off.

:lol::lol::lol:

To be honest ive never understood chicken language anyway so im not bothered....................... :)

Jjs food service have just opened in Newcastle. They are a turkish company who for years did ok and made around £800,000 profit. Last year they made £10 million. God knows how. Anyway, they now sell fish and compete with me. They sell at about £10 below cost.
They also sell chicken breasts very cheap. Again , at below cost. I buy them and they are superb. £25.99 for 10kg.
Google them and click special offers. Unfortunately for me you won't buy fish cheaper anywhere as well.

Jjs food service have just opened in Newcastle. They are a turkish company who for years did ok and made around £800,000 profit. Last year they made £10 million. God knows how. Anyway, they now sell fish and compete with me. They sell at about £10 below cost.
They also sell chicken breasts very cheap. Again , at below cost. I buy them and they are superb. £25.99 for 10kg.
Google them and click special offers. Unfortunately for me you won't buy fish cheaper anywhere as well.
How do they do it so cheap tho mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back