Buying a house/local authority search

Hi all, after a bit advice if possible. Basically me and the missus are buying a house from immediate family and there’s no chain.
we’ve been told by family’s solicitor (sellers solicitor) that there’s a 16-20 week wait for the searches, local authority, land registry, drainage etc. But when looking online it seems like it’s only 4 weeks. Can anyone shed any light or guidance ? 20 weeks seems mental, hate to think we have to wait 5 months, as there’s a lot of work we need to do in order to move in also. It’s it’s Northumberland.
thanks

We deal with land registry and they’re responding pretty quickly at the minute.
I think the environmental info can take time as there’s various sources to search; local councils, environment agency, coal authority, Northumbrian water etc.
20 weeks seems insanely long like

Is this not all digital now ? Few clicks of a button ? Not like 10 / 20 years ago when people actually had to find paper work.

if it’s not they need a kick into the modern times.
You’d of thought so.
Apparently it’s just the sheer backlog. Everyone buying houses since bojo said get amongst it.

Is this not all digital now ? Few clicks of a button ? Not like 10 / 20 years ago when people actually had to find paper work.

if it’s not they need a kick into the modern times.
Still got to study the plans and make a report.

Like I say, Cow does this for a living. Assuming he covers the searches you’re referring to.

We are in the process of buying a house. Instruction was sent today to start searches, haven't been advised of any particular time frame/delays. Hoping its not too long a wait mind.

Hopefully it help that we are FTB and there's no chain either end.

My daughter is a lawyer dealing with this stuff - she reckons 3-4 weeks is good but usually 6-8 weeks.
Good to hear mate. As I said no chain involved so praying for a quicker turn around. 6 weeks I’d be happy with.
We are in the process of buying a house. Instruction was sent today to start searches, haven't been advised of any particular time frame/delays. Hoping its not too long a wait mind.

Hopefully it help that we are FTB and there's no chain either end.
Snap. Fingers crossed for you.

Good to hear mate. As I said no chain involved so praying for a quicker turn around. 6 weeks I’d be happy with.

Snap. Fingers crossed for you.
Id be happy with 6 weeks too.

When we first spoke to our mortgage advisor and the application was submitted we joked about her getting it all done for us by mid May (9 weeks from application) she suggested it would be possible. She gave us a 8-10 week time frame from application to completion. No mention of delays.

We viewed, offered, submitted mortgage application, had valuation and recieved mortgage offer all in 9 days so we started off well, hopefully the rest will be a quick as she suggested if not quicker.

Id be happy with 6 weeks too.

When we first spoke to our mortgage advisor and the application was submitted we joked about her getting it all done for us by mid May (9 weeks from application) she suggested it would be possible. She gave us a 8-10 week time frame from application to completion. No mention of delays.

We viewed, offered, submitted mortgage application, had valuation and recieved mortgage offer all in 9 days so we started off well, hopefully the rest will be a quick as she suggested if not quicker.
Sounds pretty similar to us, from us putting offer in and getting mortgage offer was about 10 days I think, so this is the first delay we seem to have come across. Fingers crossed

Hi all, after a bit advice if possible. Basically me and the missus are buying a house from immediate family and there’s no chain.
we’ve been told by family’s solicitor (sellers solicitor) that there’s a 16-20 week wait for the searches, local authority, land registry, drainage etc. But when looking online it seems like it’s only 4 weeks. Can anyone shed any light or guidance ? 20 weeks seems mental, hate to think we have to wait 5 months, as there’s a lot of work we need to do in order to move in also. It’s it’s Northumberland.
thanks
Sold my house last week on November. Just gone through last week. 4 months. Seems to be happening. Never know houses sell so fast. Everything going in a matter of days. Conveyor,s.land registry must be overworked. I was told 12-15 weeks and seems to be the case.

Last edited:
thanks
20 weeks is crazy!
As has been said already you can pay somebody to the searches instead of the council.

Back