Buying a house/local authority search

Mad seeing searches being done in less than a month now considering what I was seeing during the pandemic 😆
What were they like then? I still turned mine around in 24-48hrs. Didn’t have anything to do with local authorities though so I was pretty blessed there!

What were they like then? I still turned mine around in 24-48hrs. Didn’t have anything to do with local authorities though so I was pretty blessed there!
Seen most taking over 2 month for LA searches. Durham stands out as being one that was quite slow. Other parts of the country were even worse at 3 month.

Seen most taking over 2 month for LA searches. Durham stands out as being one that was quite slow. Other parts of the country were even worse at 3 month.
Aye? Durham has always been pretty slow, not for the want if trying mind, the team dealing with searches were equally as frustrated as search agents, the hold ups came from above.

Cheshire is another notorious area, then you go down south , some of the London councils especially and they were woeful.

There’s just no excuse this day and age like

Aye? Durham has always been pretty slow, not for the want if trying mind, the team dealing with searches were equally as frustrated as search agents, the hold ups came from above.

Cheshire is another notorious area, then you go down south , some of the London councils especially and they were woeful.

There’s just no excuse this day and age like
Yeah definitely needs a shakeup. Could have a mortgage done in a fortnight if it wasn’t for the waiting in searches.

Yeah definitely needs a shakeup. Could have a mortgage done in a fortnight if it wasn’t for the waiting in searches.
Not just searches mind, searches are an easy scapegoat. Solicitors dragging their heels (soz if you are one) is the biggest cause of delays. Amount of times I’ve had a solicitor on the phone saying these are urgent cause we forgot to order them us unreal.

Not just searches mind, searches are an easy scapegoat. Solicitors dragging their heels (soz if you are one) is the biggest cause of delays. Amount of times I’ve had a solicitor on the phone saying these are urgent cause we forgot to order them us unreal.
Thankfully not, I was on the Mortgage end. Yeah I know what you mean, there were some high profile cases where some national firms really fucked things over, premier property lawyers and this other one I can't remember now. one got hacked and another called o'Neil patient just took on too much work and their staff must have been partying away costly all got covid and basically took about 7 months or so to catch up. arseholes.

Thankfully not, I was on the Mortgage end. Yeah I know what you mean, there were some high profile cases where some national firms really fucked things over, premier property lawyers and this other one I can't remember now. one got hacked and another called o'Neil patient just took on too much work and their staff must have been partying away costly all got covid and basically took about 7 months or so to catch up. arseholes.
My solicitor is O’Neill Patient, hopefully they seem to be ok now. Just had the water and environment report back, just waiting on the other stuff.

Should all be fine now, markets really subdued at the moment.
I’m finding it’s picked up quite a bit this month, not quite the same as this time last year but nowhere near as bad as what it could be. I’d say it’s probably right where it should be, sustainable (just my opinion from the work I’m getting in like)

Back again! Searchflow were saying 03/05 for the personal search! This is the only thing left to do as all the other searches have come back and all docs have been signed etc. I pushed back so now they are going to do an official search instead, estimating 5 days max. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Back again! Searchflow were saying 03/05 for the personal search! This is the only thing left to do as all the other searches have come back and all docs have been signed etc. I pushed back so now they are going to do an official search instead, estimating 5 days max. Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Really????😳. That’s an absolute piss take that mind. Glad you’ve binned them and gone for an official. Is that also through searchflow?

Hi all, after a bit advice if possible. Basically me and the missus are buying a house from immediate family and there’s no chain.
we’ve been told by family’s solicitor (sellers solicitor) that there’s a 16-20 week wait for the searches, local authority, land registry, drainage etc. But when looking online it seems like it’s only 4 weeks. Can anyone shed any light or guidance ? 20 weeks seems mental, hate to think we have to wait 5 months, as there’s a lot of work we need to do in order to move in also. It’s it’s Northumberland.
thanks
Pain in the arse, but it’ll be worth it in the end if you really want the house 👍

Really????😳. That’s an absolute piss take that mind. Glad you’ve binned them and gone for an official. Is that also through searchflow?
I believe it’s through searchflow. On their website it says personal searches are quicker, absolutely crazy. Wasn’t happy.
Pain in the arse, but it’ll be worth it in the end if you really want the house 👍
Yes definitely! I’m an anxious person so this kind of thing really stresses me out. Appreciate everyone’s comments, thank you

Last edited:

Back