Budapest

If your going in Feb then when we were then a lot of museums were closed and the outdoor baths were also closed for renovations. Went to Gellert and thought it was absolutely manky inside but each to their own. It also absolutely stinks inside.

House of terror is excellent though. The ruin bars were canny as well.

Gelert baths superb
Szimpla Kert is mint too, ruinpubs are a right laugh
If you're in that area, grad up the street and head for Gozsdu Court. A long covered street of loads of different pubs and restaurants. We only found it on our last night, which a shame. Proper mint.

Yes, I I ended up there myself - though the memories are quite blurred.

Budapest is a huge place and there is a bar on virtually every corner so you won't go thirsty. Just remember to write down the name and address of your hotel in case you get lost.

Forgot to mention, Budapest Parliament looks gorgeous at night...make sure you're on the other side of the river for a great photo opportunity.

You can't really go wrong, all the previous posts have highlighted the fun bars and pubs you can hit. When I go abroad I'm more interested in the culture, monuments, experiences etc . But Budapest is a lively and beautiful city, if you've the time just have an explore and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Sorry for the spam but just a glimpse of my time there.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, Budapest Parliament looks gorgeous at night...make sure you're on the other side of the river for a great photo opportunity.

You can't really go wrong, all the previous posts have highlighted the fun bars and pubs you can hit. When I go abroad I'm more interested in the culture, monuments, experiences etc . But Budapest is a lively and beautiful city, if you've the time just have an explore and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Sorry for the spam but just a glimpse of my time there.
The tour of parliament is a must do. Proper amazing inside.

Never got round to it unfortunately, would absolutely love to go back though. Hit Simpla Kert first night, done Fisherman's bastion and the sites second day. Was a bit ill the third day but enjoyed the gellert baths during the day then the Szechenyi bath party on the Saturday night was awesome. Margaret island is a lovely place for a walk/run if you can be bothered to go a little out the way.

Going back there again last weekend of July for the F1.

Went there for it in 2019 but had been travelling by train for a week and a bit beforehand around Germany and Austria. By the time we arrived on the Friday morning (which was the only full non F1 day there) it was lashing down so only got as far as outside the parliament and other side of the river. Spent rest of the day boozing and was again limited to the centre areas on the other evenings after getting back from the track late each day.

This time keeping a free day either side of the race weekend so hopefully will get to see more stuff. Definitely giving the baths a visit.

Surely one of (if not) the cheapest 'main' capitals in Europe for beer. Imo was paying no more than roughly £1.50 in a few bars right in the city centre last time.

Last edited:
Designed on UK parliament; with two identical chambers although they only use one now and the other is used for tours. The building is under constant review and repair as the stone is eroding. There’s a canny museum outside dedicated to the uprising where the Soviet’s rolled tanks on to the street.
Just one more thing.......

Logon or register to see this image

There’s a statue outside the US embassy of Ronald Reagan too. Very uncanny resemblance iirc

Last edited by a moderator:
Just on the train home now - we go 6-7 times a year minimum as we've mates live there and the fil lives 30 min from it - it's just a class city to mooch about - very much depends what you like to do but there's something for everyone.

It's f***ing freezing ATM mind the wind coming off the Danube yesterday was cutting right through you

Back