British empire worse then the Nazis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was ours. It was called serfdom. The King/Baron/Lord kept you barely alive and when he needed you...you died for him. If you lost the battle and both you and the Baron was captured...he was bought by his mates for a ransom and you were slaughtered.
Or your baron paid Danegeld to try to avoid slaughter

So was ours. It was called serfdom. The King/Baron/Lord kept you barely alive and when he needed you...you died for him. If you lost the battle and both you and the Baron was captured...he was bought by his mates for a ransom and you were slaughtered.
Highland clearances,i must be owed a knights randsom in reparation :eek: (plus interest).
Must be true if a tour guide says it
Amen to that brother,amen to that.

I was responding to a question which queried who Britain ranked alongside as in respect to volume of slavery

You dont remember that, not accurately at any rate, because it never happened. I'm no defender of the Roman Empire or Slavery of any description nor have I ever said any sort is better or worse than any other. But when other people try to mitigate Britains involvement in the trade I do point out the facts relating to it
My apologies it was bulmers who said that, you just liked the post.

It's very easy to point at the British culture and say it's all our fault. Yet like myself and op have pointed out the slave trade wasn't just about white northern Europeans exploiting black Africans it was a lot more diverse and complicated than that...
Not one person on here has said that slavery is all our fault. Not even the person in the article said that slavery is all our fault.

But what we/they are saying is that the British Empire is responsible for what it did and a lot of what it did was awful, Slavery being an obvious example. Benin has fuck all to do with any of it and obscuring the conversation with irrelevant condemnations of millennia old kingdoms happens enough in these circumstances to suggest that actually most British people cant square up to that aspect of their history.
My apologies it was bulmers who said that, you just liked the post.
Liking something on the internet is the same as saying or doing it, I'll remember that.

Last edited:
I've come around to your way of thinking.
I'm apoplectic about it

I may be going over to Denmark in a couple of weeks. I'm going to demand that I get my room at the holiday inn express for nowt by way of reparations

My ancestors are irish..... so do I demand reparations from myself?

Not one person on here has said that slavery is all our fault. Not even the person in the article said that slavery is all our fault.

But what we/they are saying is that

Liking something on the internet is the same as saying or doing it, I'll remember that.
I genuinely got you confused. My bad, if you say you don't agree with the statement then I'll take your word as that.

But what we/they are saying is that the British Empire is responsible for what it did and a lot of what it did was awful, Slavery being an obvious example. Benin has fuck all to do with any of it and obscuring the conversation with irrelevant condemnations of millennia old kingdoms happens enough in these circumstances to suggest that actually most British people cant square up to that aspect of their history.

The question for me is how far back do we go?
Deep shame and apoplectic anger I think.

You would need a hell of a memory to remember why you were so angry though.

Or just be quite bitter in general
I've just went and punched a potato.

I think I'm even.... somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back