Bristol City Fan Perspective - LJ

I've read 3 major comments from Bristol fans and all allude to the same problems. When a person believes they are better than their worth its destined for disaster. Narcissism springs to mind with this chap. Narcissists will never learn from their mistakes however good managers do.

Who is responsible for the appointment
Good question!! I’m hoping the new incoming majority shareholder!

The OP is confirming what we thought.

A poor decision.

The OP is also saying we should have went for Cooke or Cowley. We should have...this bodes well.

Johnson has a poorer win rate than Parkinson.

Not a fan of directly comparing win rates, as there are circumstances behind it. Bet Parky won more than Sam allardyce did here for instance. But agree it doesn’t sound good

Hopefully he’s learned a lot from his time at Bristol and can apply it here. Still a really young coach.

It is always with considering former clubs fan opinions though. I remember when Steele signed and the ‘give him a chance’ brigade were trying to say Be wouldn’t be that bad even though the Blackburn fans were saying that he was horrific.

Looks like he has a touch of small man syndrome about him, but I can put up with that as long as he's backing it up with results on the pitch.

Afternoon/evening fellas.

Not sure if this is worthy of a separate thread so if it gets merged so be it but thought I’d offer a view from our perspective to the reaction against LJ seemingly being offered the gig up at your place.

First of all I’m not expecting any of you to be inspired, whilst he was largely okay for us ultimately the bloke failed to deliver after being backed by our more than generous owner time and time again and was sacked a year or so after he should’ve been, for me and most supporters of BCFC.

Won’t bore you all with the details but LJ is alright, he’s a good coach that will improve the younger players you have (I’m not too clued up on you lot nowadays, but I’m not aware of any real young assets you have like you did in for example Maja currently?). As his “style” even after watching us for 4 years I really don’t know what to tell you what to expect, some seasons we played high pressing quick football which was a joy to watch, later on in his spell we’d be lucky to have 35% of the ball in away games, ultimately whatever he tried we fell short, albeit in the league above.

In summary I can see why you’d be pissed off, I’d rather have had Cook, Cowley or Poyet who all seem to have been linked with the job but for what you have I think if given time he’ll do well with you. It’s a massive club and a huge job but from the outside looking in I really think you lot need a long term project to buy into to get you back where you should be, and LJ was able to instil many values of that sort of thing here.

Finally from me, the real negative are his interviews. Bloke talks in riddles, make him look a smug twat. Don’t watch them or read them is my advice :)

Wish you and him all the best in fairness lads, Sunderland/Newcastle weekend for our game was one hell of a piss up the other year at your place, I’d be keen to do it again. 👊🏽
Also, 3-0 up under Lee Johnson is never safe. As you lot found out the other year. :)
b

Also, 3-0 up under Lee Johnson is never safe. As you lot found out the other year. :)
Cheers for that!
One thing I will say very much to his credit is he gets the very best out of strikers.

Jonathan Kodjia, Tammy Abraham, converting Bobby Reid from a shit CM to a 20 goal a season number 9, Diedhiou etc....

I would back him to get Grigg firing.
And for that, that bit sounds good at least.

How long we giving him then 😂 Guna be a disaster this appointment a justdon’t understand it one bit Ano where in league one but fkn hell we are going round in circles season after season then getting left with all their terrible signing in the mist

Did u just put Tammy Abraham in the same bracket as wyke and graham 🤣
No mate, but even Wyke has done well at L1 level before for Bradford and Graham was always a handful in the Championship. I would back LJ to get a time out of all of them, at L1 level.

Not drawing any comparisons, but Tammy Abraham came here a boy and left a man.

No mate, but even Wyke has done well at L1 level before for Bradford and Graham was always a handful in the Championship. I would back LJ to get a time out of all of them, at L1 level.

Cheers for your input - always good to have another club fans perspective

19 hours ago, TomF said:

Linked Inn Buzzword Bingcards at the ready
OK eyes down, look in.............one line wins a pasty, a full house wins a pint of cider
Play LJ Bullshit Bingo

PEP

3 WINDOWS

RED ARROWS

DRONE

MEASURE GRASS

BOX ENTRY

JOSE WINE

RB LEIPZIG

SAS

POMO

PATHWAY

NHS

CULTURE

WORLD CLASS BASICS

3'A's

Just found this on their forum. Seem like a decent bunch tbf.

Came as a boy with natural talent Total different pedigree mate

I am willing to give a more balanced view on the Lee Johnson appointment than many on here. For me you have appointed an excellent young coach who will take you into the Championship and hopefully beyond. Despite what some of our fans think these are the facts - Lee took over when we were in the championship relegation zone and saved us from the drop. He improved our league position every season bar his last with us which was messed about by covid mid season. He had many of his top players Flint, Webster, Kelly, Tomlin, Pack, kodija, Bryan, Reid etc sold for tens of millions. Yes it is fair to say he had a fair chunk of it back to spend but he still made a profit whilst improving league position. We made the league cup semis for only the third time in our history beating Man Utd on the way and only narrowly losing over 2 legs to a near full strength Man City. Final point I'd make about some of the negativity from City fans, last season we averaged 22,000 gates our best since 1980. If the football was so bad under Johnson why did the City faithful turn up in their biggest numbers fir nearly 40 years?

Another Bristol City fan here, and I like most in the end were glad to see the back of him.

Johnson had his supporters at Ashton Gate, those who thought that he was responsible for improving our league position. He wasn't. Unprecedented levels of spending, particularly by our standards, did that; a better manager would have achieved far more.

It's easy to get taken in by his seemingly articulate interviews but listen to the actual words, cliches and utter nonsense mostly.

The main problem is he doesnt have any actual man management skills. When a manager spends more time bollocking the referee than coaching his players, you know you've got a problem. With your resources, Johnson may appear to do ok. I gather from reading on here that you've had some poor managers; a bang average one ought to be able to get a club like Sunderland promotion from league one. But a good manager is one who over achieves, be prepared to be disappointed on that level.

One thing I will say very much to his credit is he gets the very best out of strikers.

Jonathan Kodjia, Tammy Abraham, converting Bobby Reid from a shit CM to a 20 goal a season number 9, Diedhiou etc....

I would back him to get Grigg firing.
Here lads, if not Grigg then Wyke at least :)

OK eyes down, look in.............one line wins a pasty, a full house wins a pint of cider
Play LJ Bullshit Bingo

PEP

3 WINDOWS

RED ARROWS

DRONE

MEASURE GRASS

BOX ENTRY

JOSE WINE

RB LEIPZIG

SAS

POMO

PATHWAY

NHS

CULTURE

WORLD CLASS BASICS

3'A's

Just found this on their forum. Seem like a decent bunch tbf.
They definitely should have had protocol on here.

Maybe he is a brilliant head coach, it was all the other shit attached to the job that made him lose his way. Just for reference, that wasnt just new manager bounce, you dont suddenly appear to have energy all over the pitch, you dont all of a sudden just hunt down in packs, you dont all of a sudden see players made of concrete become mobile and move into space, you dont suddenly get 5 men into the box.

I know its only one game, very impressed, so far. Lets see what he does when he has a packed defence in front of him, Tuesday will be his first test of this

Back