Bring out the BBQ

First time cooking corn in its husk as well, don’t think I’ll bother again.
I grow sweetcorn on the allotment.
The easiest way to cook it, and works every time that I have found is to "top and tail" it with the leaves still on.
Then wet 2 pieces of paper kitchen towel.
Place one of the wet towels on the plate, then the sweetcorn, and cover the sweetcorn with the other wet kitchen towel.
Microwave for 4 minutes.
Let it cool a bit and remove the leaves and the stringy bits.
Lusherooney.

I've lost the post image function so here goes

Looks good 👍,charcoal as well 😉
Whole tandoori chicken on today, just the job. First time cooking corn in its husk as well, don’t think I’ll bother again.
Best way to cook sweetcorn mate 👍,when they are done I like to baste them in a salt and butter , then when they are ready,brush some warm honey on them,delicious.

Last edited:
I will probably use the barbecue. I will also probably think “this is a right clart on” and next time I’ll probably stick a couple of burgers, or whatever, under the grill in the kitchen and walk the 4 or 5 paces into the garden to eat them wondering why I bothered with all the palaver the last time.

As well as the usual spaff, your saussies, burgers etc, I did lovely charred aubergine dressed in tahini, mint and feta on Friday. One for the plant munching freaks. Bon appetit.

I will probably use the barbecue. I will also probably think “this is a right clart on” and next time I’ll probably stick a couple of burgers, or whatever, under the grill in the kitchen and walk the 4 or 5 paces into the garden to eat them wondering why I bothered with all the palaver the last time.
I never quite get the fascination with barbecues.

I never quite get the fascination with barbecues.
Must admit I used to be the same. Problem was I didn’t have a clue what I was doing :lol: Spark up the barbecue and hoy on a few burgers and sausages.

It’s social as much as anything, my 3 girls would come round with the grandkids and we’d all get stuck into the beers and wine. When I hoyed the last cheapo one away they talked me into getting a Weber kettle and accessories so I thought if I was spending several hundred quid I’d better learn to do it properly. Never heard of indirect cooking, reverse searing etc before. :oops:

Still no expert at it but much better now and never think of burgers and sausages any more. Steaks, fish, kebabs and I’ve discovered that batch cooking a load of chicken tikka to freeze for curries gives me a much better result than conventional grill or oven.

Must admit I used to be the same. Problem was I didn’t have a clue what I was doing :lol: Spark up the barbecue and hoy on a few burgers and sausages.

It’s social as much as anything, my 3 girls would come round with the grandkids and we’d all get stuck into the beers and wine. When I hoyed the last cheapo one away they talked me into getting a Weber kettle and accessories so I thought if I was spending several hundred quid I’d better learn to do it properly. Never heard of indirect cooking, reverse searing etc before. :oops:

Still no expert at it but much better now and never think of burgers and sausages any more. Steaks, fish, kebabs and I’ve discovered that batch cooking a load of chicken tikka to freeze for curries gives me a much better result than conventional grill or oven.
Aye my memories of us having BBQ when I was younger was crap to be fair. Hard to light, waiting about for the coals to go white and just burgers and sausages that were either cremated or under cooked. I have pretty much perfected it now, got a great BBQ and just use single light bags and away we go. We do a variety of different food and as long as you keep at it turning the food around and have the coal at the right height the food comes out excellent with a distinctive taste you do not get with an oven or even a gas BBQ. I can see how people don't rate them, especially when the food comes out crap but there's a certain knack to it

Fired ours up Saturday and Sunday eve...burgers and sausages for the nippers...kebabs and chicken for us..nothing flash, but always tastes good.......washed down with a massive bottle of Staropramen! (the nippers had fruit shoots)

Try the Snake method, you won’t be disappointed ;)

Tandoori chicken thighs are our favourite BBQ food. Much better than domestic oven because our BBQ can get up to 370 degrees centigrade and the fat that drips out of the chicken imparts a lush extra flavour to the tandoori. Gotta skin them first though otherwise the smoke is overwhelming.
Aye my memories of us having BBQ when I was younger was crap to be fair. Hard to light, waiting about for the coals to go white and just burgers and sausages that were either cremated or under cooked. I have pretty much perfected it now, got a great BBQ and just use single light bags and away we go. We do a variety of different food and as long as you keep at it turning the food around and have the coal at the right height the food comes out excellent with a distinctive taste you do not get with an oven or even a gas BBQ. I can see how people don't rate them, especially when the food comes out crap but there's a certain knack to it
I used to be a firm believer that charcoal is better but I've changed my mind. The waiting time for them to heat up, the inflexibility of heat control, the mess afterwards, and the miniscule difference in flavour of the food means it's gas all the way for me now. Providing any fat drips onto sizzlers, there's plenty of BBQ flavour.

Last edited:
Not a fan of BBQs for a number of reasons

1. Most people can’t cook properly on them so food is either under or more usually over cooked

2. too much food - people bring a pack of sausage,Burgers and steak - normal people never usually eat that much food

3. Instead of just eating it, people then want to talk about it for ever, about how you can’t beat a BBQ.

:lol:

Tandoori chicken thighs are our favourite BBQ food. Much better than domestic oven because our BBQ can get up to 370 degrees centigrade and the fat that drips out of the chicken imparts a lush extra flavour to the tandoori. Gotta skin them first though otherwise the smoke is overwhelming.

I used to be a firm believer that charcoal is better but I've changed my mind. The waiting time for them to heat up, the inflexibility of heat control, the mess afterwards, and the miniscule difference in flavour of the food means it's gas all the way for me now. Providing any fat drips onto sizzlers, there's plenty of BBQ flavour.

whats your recipe

Back