Boycott the 17 clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the BBC

"Wages, bonuses, taxes and image rights, plus agents' and other relevant fees, will be included within the cap but bonuses gained from promotion or progression in cups will be exempt".

So all we have to do is...

Pay shitty wages within the rules, chuck in a £1,000,000 player bonus for gaining us promotion. Pro rata so those that contribute more get a larger slice of the £1,000,000 on offer but so that bit part players also get a smaller slice of the pie.

Wouldn't be bothered about the cups though.

It's a poor strategy but blaming small clubs is ridiculous. If we can't create a competitive advantage down here without overspending then we need to look at our own clubs and their mismanagement.

This is true but football has never been an even financial playing field and its merely widening the gap between probably the most debt-ridden league in the world and the two below.

It's a poor strategy but blaming small clubs is ridiculous. If we can't create a competitive advantage down here without overspending then we need to look at our own clubs and their mismanagement.

You can't make rules on the hoof like this, its not fair. You can't plan for it. There has to be a grace period - for players as much as clubs.
What an absolute farce. Can we and the others appeal this?

Think PFA has best shot in the courts, but la proper legal challenge must surely delay its implication.

Last edited:
You can't make rules on the hoof like this, its not fair. You can't plan for it. There has to be a grace period - for players as much as clubs.

Totally agree with this mind. I said as much when the idea was floated. I also think a cap as a percentage of turnover is favourable to this solution. I'm just not aggressively against the idea. The fact that we need to out spend teams for the 3rd year on a row to try and get out of this league is our real issue.

The academy gives us a significant advantage over anyone at this level.

Interestingly, as this would likely allow the club to make a profit, it means we're not relying on parachute payments. It probably also makes us a better option to be bought.

As the cap doesn't include under 21 players, we need to change tact immediately. We should be spending those "profits" on promising youngsters from category 2 academies and developing them.

I don't really want us to drag on with complaining and launching legal challenges. I'd rather we embrace it and use it to build our club using the advantages we have.
The problem being the advantage only helps us get out of the league, unless we're developing players good enough for the league above and increasing our competitiveness in said league.

You'll still have bigger clubs than us plucking any emerging talent so in the end it benefits them, not us.

Interestingly, as this would likely allow the club to make a profit, it means we're not relying on parachute payments. It probably also makes us a better option to be bought.

As the cap doesn't include under 21 players, we need to change tact immediately. We should be spending those "profits" on promising youngsters from category 2 academies and developing them.

I don't really want us to drag on with complaining and launching legal challenges. I'd rather we embrace it and use it to build our club using the advantages we have.
Your last paragraph ,it isnt up to us to launch legal challenges marra,its the trades unionthe mighty PFA .If they dont it will be a f***ing disgrace.

The problem being the advantage only helps us get out of the league, unless we're developing players good enough for the league above and increasing our competitiveness in said league.

You'll still have bigger clubs than us plucking any emerging talent so in the end it benefits them, not us.

Players under 21 don't count. Not saying it will happen, but there's nothing to stop us buying the 11 best 19 year olds in the football league and paying them £20k a week each.

This is only a complete disaster if we treat it as such and buy league one journeymen at league one wages. Buy young, produce our own and develop can be very successful.

one of the impacts of this might be smaller numbers of “owned” players being signed on permanent contracts and more loanees from the leagues above with the parent clubs paying most of their wages.

The end result of that will be less opportunities for lower league players to earn a living and l1 and l2 will just become a resource for the big clubs to use to give their youngsters experience.

SAFC should just turn around and say they won’t be sticking to the cap, what are you going to do about it ? Have that discussion before a ball is kicked.

From the BBC

"Wages, bonuses, taxes and image rights, plus agents' and other relevant fees, will be included within the cap but bonuses gained from promotion or progression in cups will be exempt".

So all we have to do is...

Pay shitty wages within the rules, chuck in a £1,000,000 player bonus for gaining us promotion. Pro rata so those that contribute more get a larger slice of the £1,000,000 on offer but so that bit part players also get a smaller slice of the pie.

Wouldn't be bothered about the cups though.

Massive bonus for getting to round 2 of the FA Cup.

Totally agree with this mind. I said as much when the idea was floated. I also think a cap as a percentage of turnover is favourable to this solution. I'm just not aggressively against the idea. The fact that we need to out spend teams for the 3rd year on a row to try and get out of this league is our real issue.

We dont have to outspend everyone in the league, but we shouldnt be punished for being able to afford to buy a player that say Burton can't.

Its a f***ing shambles this.

Dunno marra. I think both can be true. It can be an opportunity for us to finally build the club properly whilst also being an attempt by tinpot fuckers to artificially limit our advantage. The scmp rules already did a good job of promoting sustainability - before we consider that all of these clubs could have limited their wage bill to £2.5m perfectly well without introducing legislation.

one of the impacts of this might be smaller numbers of “owned” players being signed on permanent contracts and more loanees from the leagues above with the parent clubs paying most of their wages.

The end result of that will be less opportunities for lower league players to earn a living and l1 and l2 will just become a resource for the big clubs to use to give their youngsters experience.

SAFC should just turn around and say they won’t be sticking to the cap, what are you going to do about it ? Have that discussion before a ball is kicked.
Thats exactly what will happen IMO. Championship will become PL2 and L1 and L2 will amalgamate and clubs will be mainly for PL under 23 side players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back