Boycott the 17 clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The bizarre thing is that it will just increase the distance between the clubs in the Leagues above .... it is a f***ing shambles. I suspect that there will be legal challenges to this as it is a restrictive practice.

The gap is already huge anyway in my opinion. The drop off from the Championship to League one is bigger than the Prem to the Championship, not just in terms of ability but in terms of club size and infrastructure as well. Most clubs in the lower leagues are never going to spend their way into the championship, and if they did they'd still be struggling the next season without huge investment.

There's a handful of terribly mismanaged clubs down there who shouldn't be (us, Pompey, Ipswich, Charlton) . Then there's a group who are the bigger traditional league one sides and will yo-yo (Barnsley, Wigan, Rotherham). The rest are lower league clubs who are probably at their peak, unless they have an exceptional season. The level playing field rewards the better ran clubs.

It's a poor strategy but blaming small clubs is ridiculous. If we can't create a competitive advantage down here without overspending then we need to look at our own clubs and their mismanagement.
This.

We had a huge advantage over all the clubs down and we messed it up. When you point your finger at someone to blame remember there's 3 pointing back.

Maybe now, we can build a club on solid foundation rather than sand. Maybe now we can seriously invest in our academy, recruitment, scouting, transfer strategy and have some kind of blueprint going forward!

Who voted for this cap.

I’m only interested now in an away day at yourselves, Ipswich, the 3 relegated clubs and Oxford.

Fuck the rest.
The ridiculous vote to end the season by the rest of the clubs was the main reason I wanted Portsmouth to go up via the play offs this year....and also for the genuinely warm welcome rec'd down there prior to the 2nd leg play off game last season (honest!) 👍

It's a poor strategy but blaming small clubs is ridiculous. If we can't create a competitive advantage down here without overspending then we need to look at our own clubs and their mismanagement.
This.

We had a huge advantage over all the clubs down and we messed it up. When you point your finger at someone to blame remember there's 3 pointing back.

Maybe now, we can build a club on solid foundation rather than sand. Maybe now we can seriously invest in our academy, recruitment, scouting, transfer strategy and have some kind of blueprint going forward!

Does the cap make exceptions from players who come the academy or this will start to impact clubs lower down.

Say a very good academy player was coming through into the 1st team this season and was having an excellent season with us. If we were looking likely to be promoted and wanted to keep the player with a good contract would we be able to give him a decent contract to stop other clubs (I am talking about clubs like Swansea, cardiff, forest) further up the pyramid poaching him?

Does the cap make exceptions from players who come the academy or this will start to impact clubs lower down.

Say a very good academy player was coming through into the 1st team this season and was having an excellent season with us. If we were looking likely to be promoted and wanted to keep the player with a good contract would we be able to give him a decent contract to stop other clubs (I am talking about clubs like Swansea, cardiff, forest) further up the pyramid poaching him?
Surely this serves the top two leagues, even more, should a breakaway occur. The EFL may take stock of this and say they (the EFL) want a signing on fee paid directly to the EFL should any prospective academy player be 'poached'. Alternatively the EFL would show a bit of balls and put a £2M minimum spend on any academy player poached from said club. Hence making said club more 'sustainable' in a league they are never likley to get out of

This.

The academy gives us a significant advantage over anyone at this level.

Interestingly, as this would likely allow the club to make a profit, it means we're not relying on parachute payments. It probably also makes us a better option to be bought.

As the cap doesn't include under 21 players, we need to change tact immediately. We should be spending those "profits" on promising youngsters from category 2 academies and developing them.

I don't really want us to drag on with complaining and launching legal challenges. I'd rather we embrace it and use it to build our club using the advantages we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back