Botham, Flintoff or Stokes

In todays game, Stokes.

Botham is still our greatest all rounder though, but a few more years of Stokes and he won't be anymore.

Last edited:
Im too young to have seen the best of Botham but for me as an allrounder its not always about averages but about how many games have they won for the team. Flintoff was few and far between, going off the old footage Botham clearly did that plenty but Ill leave it up to my elders to decide if hes better than stokes.

Botham for me, but Ben still has at least 50% of his career to come, so in time he could overtake.

wickets and centuries for beefy presently.

I reckon Ben will end up with over 300 wickets and more centuries than Botham.

But is never gonna be anywhere near the fifers and he's probably not good enough to get a 10fer

He has 14 test centuries to be fair
Ye. Interesting to look at no of centuries, no of fifties and average.

Botham more centuries than Stokes but Stokes has more fifties as a proportion of
And lots of low scores, hence why his average is a bit lower than Stokes. I think Stokes can bat to reflect the situation but I don't think Botham could ever do that. Just look at Stokes in CT and today.
I think he could and I think he did that in the 1981 Ashes.

In the famous Headingley Test the fight back and the smashing of the ball was started by Dilly (RIP) many fantastic shots, Chris Old came in and bashed Ray Bright out of the attack. Botham was taking the holding role.

I've long reckoned Stokes is a better batsman but Botham the better bowler and I think when his career is over the respective averages will reflect that.

I Also think Stokes has a better cricket brain, he'd make a better captain than Botham did (although when Both was captain he was carrying aback injury which held his bowling back).

I reckon Ben will end up with over 300 wickets and more centuries than Botham.

But is never gonna be anywhere near the fifers and he's probably not good enough to get a 10fer
I think he’ll get more centuries as he the superior bat to Botham.
I’m not sure he’ll get to 300 wickets. I think his bowling will slowly fall away as he becomes more an out and out batsman.
Stokes for Test, Botham for ODI but it could go either way.
I’d say the opposite.
Botham batting record pretty mediocre in ODI his bowling was excellent though. Very miserly but the ODI game is totally different to what it was 30 - 40 year ago.

Botham as a test match bowler pre back injury was world class. Decent enough pace but ability to swing the ball in his pomp was as good as anyone.

Last edited:
I think Botham was a truly world class bowler but I think his batting gets talked up a lot mind. Mainly cos of the 149* at Headingley.
14 tons and 22 half centuries ain't too bad mate whilst he was also the highest wicket takes for years before Hadlee overtook him. Stokes will no doubt overtake Beefys 5200 runs but won't get beat his wickets. Overall I think Botham offered more but I ain't deflecting anything away from Stokes. I banged the drum for him to return to test cricket after he was left out after his first Ashes tour where we failed badly. He was our only decent performer in a shitshiw of an ashes.

14 tons and 22 half centuries ain't too bad mate whilst he was also the highest wicket takes for years before Hadlee overtook him. Stokes will no doubt overtake Beefys 5200 runs but won't get beat his wickets. Overall I think Botham offered more but I ain't deflecting anything away from Stokes. I banged the drum for him to return to test cricket after he was left out after his first Ashes tour where we failed badly. He was our only decent performer in a shitshiw of an ashes.
Has stokes played in Australia yet for the ashes?

Back