Boston

Their rather dreadful single Amanda was the first ever US number 1 to not chart in the UK top 40.
I didn't know that. I wasn't aware of the song so I looked it out on You Tube. It lasted 10, maybe 15 seconds. Then I realised it was from the third album which explained everything.

But back on thread you need to walk the freedom trail in Boston remembering that they think 200 years is along time ago. I got into a an interesting discussion with a lovely park ranger over whether the founding fathers were terrorists or freedom fighters. This was at the same time as the first invasion of Iraq and she couldn't see how the US troops there could be described as oppressive. So I said that's how the founding fathers thought of the British. To us Brits, you were terrorists not freedom fighters. The irony was completely lost on her. She wouldn't have it that the US "lost" the Battle of Bunker Hill as despite the Brits taking the land they lost more troops.
Anyhow, Boston is lovely, have a great time.

Don't bother with the Cheers bar it's crap

James Hook & Co for a lobster roll and some chowder

Walk the Freedom Trail

You are spoilt for choice with sports - NFL, baseball, NBA, ice hockey

Went for a few days as part of our honeymoon, years back now like, but this pretty much nails it

I got cheap bleachers tickets for a red sox game as I wasn't sure if my wife would be into it, but she loved it, mainly the people watching. So thats a great afternoon if you're there during the season. The Bruins got to the Stanley cup finals the year we were there, 2013, so the whole place was buzzing.

We got the underground out to do the Samuel Adams brewery tour, which was canny, but the area itself was a little sketchy

There was a place called the Barking Crab, right on one of the docks, which was a good night; seafood and drinks

Sam Lagrassa's for a huge pastrami sandwich too

Last edited:

Back