Bob Willis

Ashes series from years ago and our pathetic medium paced plodders of the time getting hammered by Taylor, Boon, Waugh etc

Ian Chappell :" Well Bob, if I was an England fan, I'd be worried that they seem to pick just about anyone who can bowl"

Bob: "Well it worries me that they pick ones who can't"!

RIP.

Wasn't lucky enough to be alive to see him bowl, but loved his dryness as a commentator and pundit coming off his long run when England were poor.

Well Charles...

Not very often you can say Sunderland-born sporting legend...

Bob was a big hero of mine along with Botham when I was just starting to get into cricket in my early teens.

Probably the only consistent fast bowler we had for about 10 years.

RIP Bob. Gone far too soon.

Sad news. I never got to watch him play, before my time but i often enjoyed watching the debate and the verdict on Sky. Always liked his forthright manner and views. RIP Bob.

May sound daft, but don’t think the death of any other well known figure has hit me as hard. Grew up with Bob on Sky and I used to always look forward to his dry, pull no punches approach. Think the sudden nature of it after he was on fine form only a couple of months ago has made it harder hitting.

Met him a couple of times as an avid, young autograph hunter and he was very pleasant and made time for all. My signed copy of Bob Willis’ 6 of the Best will stand proud tonight.
Man City fan though I think

He was yes. Moved out of Sunderland at a very infant age.

Last edited:

Back