Bob Willis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very saddened and shocked to hear this news. šŸ˜•

Didnā€™t Brearley bowl him up the slope from the other end just to make him angry? Also brilliant captaincy. (Or was that a different game?)

Spot on. Mike Brearley is the best England captain I can remember. He seemed to have a knack of getting the best out of a player no matter their personality or approach to the game.

Very sad to hear this.
In my opinion his 8-43 against the Aussies at Headingley in 81 is the best spell of genuine fast bowling by an English bowler Ive ever seen and only bettered overall by the majestic Holding at The Oval in 76.

His wonderfully morose post match interview with Peter West after the game was superb as well.

As some have said at times the only positive thing to come out of an England defeat was the chance to watch him analyse it later in the evening in his own inimitable manner.

His Diary of a Season books that he did in the late 70s/early 80s are highly recommended if you can find them.

RIP Bob you will be sorely missed.

Always the sign of a special human being that when they die, the news hits you harder than you'd expect.
RIP Bob. I shall listen to some Dylan and raise a bloody good glass of red to you tonight.
"Just remember, that death is not the end."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back