Bloody cancer

GAS Man

Midfield
It's happening again, I can't seem to keep away from the bastard thing. I know our foggy and Janey are going through there own individual pains at the moment as well as many others around the world and why I feel for anyone who is having to suffer and see the suffering.

Sorry to bore you with this one, it will come apparent why hopefully after I clear my chest.

I returned to the UK 4 years ago after living overseas for 17 years, about a year into the start of my exile I met my best mate Rick. Rick then was a skinheaded tattooed chelsea fan. My first day of football training I met him when I turned out for the German all stars HK, we kicked lumps out of people in training and then went drinking and partying after training and games. A bond was formed.

He's been best man at both my weddings and me at both of his . No matter where or what is going on I always knew Rick was there and I know he has me. When I returned from overseas he followed after 2 years, so it's been great the last couple of years seeing him and having the families back together again in London. In the past few years I have lost a number of friends and the person I turn to is him. I went to visit him today and he looks shit, watching other mates in past couple of years going through this and passing has started to break me. Now the mate who I thought yup lots of family holidays together, enjoy our getting older etc is looking to do one to. It's lung cancer, yeah we were both smokers, both quit 5 years ago, he's now 50 and me 41. He starts chemo this Friday but docs are saying little chance. Im fairly f***ing heartbroken. Fuck you cancer, you are a f***ing

Just clearing my thoughts a bit. His mrs(no) crying with me today was crap, her saying she wishes it was her and not him. Having to go through this again with best mates Mrs is fucked after having so recently done it with my other mate. What do I say or do other than it'll be ok, he's a fighter.

To all you going through cancer and having been through it I truly salute you and your families.

Sorry to hear that mate. I know what you are going through my 40 year old cousin has just found out he has skin and brain cancer.

Rick sounds like a smashing bloke and you are lucky to have each other.

It's happening again, I can't seem to keep away from the bastard thing. I know our foggy and Janey are going through there own individual pains at the moment as well as many others around the world and why I feel for anyone who is having to suffer and see the suffering.

Sorry to bore you with this one, it will come apparent why hopefully after I clear my chest.

I returned to the UK 4 years ago after living overseas for 17 years, about a year into the start of my exile I met my best mate Rick. Rick then was a skinheaded tattooed chelsea fan. My first day of football training I met him when I turned out for the German all stars HK, we kicked lumps out of people in training and then went drinking and partying after training and games. A bond was formed.

He's been best man at both my weddings and me at both of his . No matter where or what is going on I always knew Rick was there and I know he has me. When I returned from overseas he followed after 2 years, so it's been great the last couple of years seeing him and having the families back together again in London. In the past few years I have lost a number of friends and the person I turn to is him. I went to visit him today and he looks shit, watching other mates in past couple of years going through this and passing has started to break me. Now the mate who I thought yup lots of family holidays together, enjoy our getting older etc is looking to do one to. It's lung cancer, yeah we were both smokers, both quit 5 years ago, he's now 50 and me 41. He starts chemo this Friday but docs are saying little chance. Im fairly f***ing heartbroken. Fuck you cancer, you are a f***ing cnt.

Just clearing my thoughts a bit. His mrs(no) crying with me today was crap, her saying she wishes it was her and not him. Having to go through this again with best mates Mrs is fucked after having so recently done it with my other mate. What do I say or do other than it'll be ok, he's a fighter.

To all you going through cancer and having been through it I truly salute you and your families.
I feel for you mate, I cannot add much but say, but well done for writing such a moving post, you truly are the definition of a true mate. I can only wish well and hope for the best, for your mate, for you and all others closely concerned, cancer is a f***ing twat! My heart goes out to you all!!

Sorry to hear that mate. I know what you are going through my 40 year old cousin has just found out he has skin and brain cancer.

Rick sounds like a smashing bloke and you are lucky to have each other.
This is why the value of the importance of love with loved ones, is important to live and love everyday. Value those close to you!

Last edited:
The sooner we find a universal cure for this shitty disease the better. Too many young lives lost, too many family and friends left devastated.

Yeah he said today there's over 200 different cancers. I understand there has been progress in many but it's not enough is it.

Glad you shared your grief on here pal, as said, cherish your great memories and let him know how much you've appreciated the friendship you shared.
Cancer is a bastard....glad you gave up the tabs, keep off 'em!

Twat of a disease. Two of my cousins have recently been diagnosed, one with lung cancer, one with oesophageal cancer. And my BiL now has lung and liver cancer.

Shit news, cancer is a bastard. I've been at a fundraiser fun day this afternoon for my mates little boy. Six years old and one of the nicest kids anyone could hope for. Has eighteen months of treatment ahead of him if he stays well enough to cope with it. Truly horrible position to be in to be hoping he can suffer for that long to give him a chance of having a normal life.
Best of luck to your mate and anyone in a similar position.

He's been best man at both my weddings and me at both of his . No matter where or what is going on I always knew Rick was there and I know he has me. When I returned from overseas he followed after 2 years, so it's been great the last couple of years seeing him and having the families back together again in London. In the past few years I have lost a number of friends and the person I turn to is him. I went to visit him today and he looks shit, watching other mates in past couple of years going through this and passing has started to break me. Now the mate who I thought yup lots of family holidays together, enjoy our getting older etc is looking to do one to. It's lung cancer, yeah we were both smokers, both quit 5 years ago, he's now 50 and me 41. He starts chemo this Friday but docs are saying little chance. Im fairly f***ing heartbroken. Fuck you cancer, you are a f***ing cnt.

I just want to say, after my thoughts are with you and his Mrs of course, that I have come to realise through all the shite that it is harder for those closest. They can't complain about how hard it is for them to the one who is suffering from the disease. I try to think of how I would feel if it was my nearest and dearest and to be honest I can't imagine it. Try to talk about the joy of now and not pre death anguish. It hasn't happened so make the most. Talk like you did, take the piss, whatever. I know it can't be totally the same but I treasure normality.

I am going through a very slow rehabilitation after my operation a few weeks ago, I'm completely knackered and still in a fair amount of pain so I've kept myself to myself, I'm not thinking quite straight right now and drugged to buggery so thought it best to take a back seat for a bit. Reading stuff like this though, I can't help but say how it is from my perspective so please know in lots of ways you have it worse and it's understandable. And don't give up. Docs - especially oncologists - can be doom and gloom. Let the chemo have a go. I had a life expectancy of 12 months, given to me 9 months ago. My chemo put the brakes on until a hard to get procedure was successful - so far anyway - and gave me a ray of light in a tunnel of shit. Keep the faith I believe it's called.

All the best

We found out in July that my Dad has it in his Prostate..we've been lucky as a family as there hasn't been any before..you get a bloody shock when you actually hear the word 'Cancer' and it involves one of your family..me Dad's 81 and has Alzheimers as well..he's had a good knock and hopefully will get another few good years..good luck to anyone on here who is going through or caring for a loved one with this twat of a disease..good luck OP to your mate..;)

We found out in July that my Dad has it in his Prostate..we've been lucky as a family as there hasn't been any before..you get a bloody shock when you actually hear the word 'Cancer' and it involves one of your family..me Dad's 81 and has Alzheimers as well..he's had a good knock and hopefully will get another few good years..good luck to anyone on here who is going through or caring for a loved one with this twat of a disease..good luck OP to your mate..;)

Sorry to hear about this fella. My dad was diagnosed in April, Kidney cancer. Doesn't drink / smoke or anything. He just decided to get checked out off the cuff after a neighbour his age was diagnosed. Like you mention, no previous history at all but tiny particles of blood were found in his piss , kidney knackered, thank god we get two of them ! Had the Operation three weeks ago, will get his feedback in two weeks, so just crossing fingers here.

Sorry to hear about this fella. My dad was diagnosed in April, Kidney cancer. Doesn't drink / smoke or anything. He just decided to get checked out off the cuff after a neighbour his age was diagnosed. Like you mention, no previous history at all but tiny particles of blood were found in his piss , kidney knackered, thank god we get two of them ! Had the Operation three weeks ago, will get his feedback in two weeks, so just crossing fingers here.
If it's any consolation it's one of the more survivable ones to get if it's caught early.

Back