Blind people given sight.

I don't think they are necessarily cut off from childhood, we can learn to process information. The concept at issue here is 'restored' sight (in that sight has been gifted to someone not previously able to see), so presumably the nural systems that process this information are still intact. Some concepts will be incredibly difficult but unless there are other issues sight will be combined with the other senses so they will never be going into sight completely devoid of experience.
Agreed but in certain cases some functions we take for granted will be missing. I may be wrong but that's what I gleaned from my little reading.

Not necessarily for ever. Depends on the case.

Face recognition can be a case in point. We learn how to distinguish between faces in childhood. It's why all Chinese people look the same.

I think most basic things need to be learned over time. I'm not sure if somethings are permanent.

How we perceive stuff is a fascinating subject.

You have to learn what things are. If you have missed some development as a child then those pathways are cut off forever. However, perception is just what we have from our senses.A bloodhound has a smell 200 times more sensitive. We don't "miss" those smells because we have never smelled them.

You can learn to "see" if an image is projected on your back using a matrix of dots. The brain learns to interpret the dots.

The eye just processes the image that is in front of you, the brain learns to interpret that image in childhood. It is incredible really.
I read about experiments where the subjects wore glasses that flipped their vision upside down for a prolonged period. The brain eventually flipped it back the right way. Must have been a right faff on when the experiment finished. :lol:

I read about experiments where the subjects wore glasses that flipped their vision upside down for a prolonged period. The brain eventually flipped it back the right way. Must have been a right faff on when the experiment finished. :lol:

Not perception but try the experiment where two haves of the brain were separated in an autism operation and they work pseudo independently. There's a famous story of a man going to hit his wife with one hand and the other hand grabbing him to stop him.

I'd rather stay blind as you never have to work again and you get a free dog.

I'd rather stay blind as you never have to work again and you get a free dog.
That’s three threads you’ve come on and added nothing. You’re boring mate.

It would be a laugh.

I have no idea why Julio Arca couldn't be arsed to improve his right foot. He would have been worth a fortune. The brain can work on anything given practice.
Do you think you could train yourself not to get dizzy? I know you can when you get it lying down but I mean say from being on a waltzer.

Last edited:
Do you think you could train yourself not to get dizzy? I know you can when you get it lying down but I mean say from being on a waltzer.

Not sure. If you were permanently on a waltzer then the signals from your inner ear may become less immediate.

Cannot think of anything worse, only theme park ride I hate.

Not sure. If you were permanently on a waltzer then the signals from your inner ear may become less immediate.

Cannot think of anything worse, only theme park ride I hate.
Exactly the same as me. I love rides but waltzers make me feel sick as fuck.

I was getting dizzy spells when I lay down so did some exercises as instructed and it just disappeared. Do yoga and core work and I was constantly going really dizzy. You must be able to.

So imagine a person of 20 that has been offered the chance to have an op that would give them their sight for the first time. Do you think they would take it?

I don’t think they’d be able to cope with it. You’d probably have built up a picture of what everything and everyone looks like. Say they’re walking along a busy road and a lorry comes along the road they’d f***ing shit themselves. The colours, the lights, it would be absolutely overwhelming for them.

Could be wrong mind.
I'm going to take a wild guess that they don't do the operation in the middle of the M1.

That’s three threads you’ve come on and added nothing. You’re boring mate.
This comment has been stirring in my mind so I just want to say don't you EVER speak to me like that again or I will rip off your arms.

People who weren’t born blind but became blind would bite yer hand off. End of story. Apart from would they be allowed to keep the dog?
BTW Stevie Wonders chat up line was/is apparently “you sound gorgeous” :lol: Anyone think I should’ve put the smiley with the sunglasses on in there?

Back