Black's Corner plans to transform Seaburn tram shelter

Massive supporter of this ! Excellent news! Can't wait !
I am a massive fan of their charcuterie plates.

In the meanwhile, whilst planning application is ongoing, I hope the tram shelter can be used as a pop-up 'Red Devils' fanzone for the Euro 2020 final Belgium v. Ukraine
I'm hoping for Italy vs Brazil

Great addition to the sea front that, love Blacks Corner for all it’s an expensive night out.

Only just learned of Mexico 70 opening a place down there thanks to this thread as well.

Be a canny night out down there. Blacks or Mexico 70, The Stack, Seaburn Inn, place over the road from the Stack, Promenade.

You must of led a sheltered life
Shelters are an iconic piece of British seaside culture
Keep it as it was intended
Seen loads of people use it when they require shelter from rain or just sit and eat packed lunches

it might stop all those lasses on a morning doing boot camps parking in the disabled parking bays
It was intended as a shelter while waiting for a tram. There's nee more trams.
Barely anyone uses it as a shelter. See the odd old folk in there now and again and that's it.
I once had an emergency dump in that shelter
Shutters when up a week later
I wonder if the desiccated evidence is still there
You beast. No the wonder you don't want the shelter renovated. It's taking away your crimping spots

can't entirely see how a tram shelter converts into a restaurant and looks much like its original historical use like

But obviously realise how "passionate" folk on here get. Progress aint always fab down there. Even the manky old Seaburn Hall looked better than the architectural abortion that is Morrisons

can't entirely see how a tram shelter converts into a restaurant and looks much like its original historical use like

But obviously realise how "passionate" folk on here get. Progress aint always fab down there. Even the manky old Seaburn Hall looked better than the architectural abortion that is Morrisons
That's been there for over 30 years. Move on Grandad.

That's been there for over 30 years. Move on Grandad.

Just saying almost everything that's built in Sunderland ends up looking shite within a few years. Its a canny knack the city has going back decades

Am guessing the vogue for building flat roof boxes harks to the golden era of 1930s architecture or something.

Wouldn't trust them to even be able to build a railway station that's an improvement on the current sewer

They’ll probably build self supporting boxes inside the original structure. Then they’ll clad it in white upvc.

Just saying almost everything that's built in Sunderland ends up looking shite within a few years. Its a canny knack the city has going back decades

Am guessing the vogue for building flat roof boxes harks to the golden era of 1930s architecture or something.

Wouldn't trust them to even be able to build a railway station that's an improvement on the current sewer
Everywhere is the same. Speed of life is so much faster these days. Things go out of fashion so quick, it's just not worth building anything of substance anymore.

I love Victorian architecture but it's just no viable now. Costs would be prohibitive.

Last edited:
Everywhere is the same. Speed of life is so much faster these days. Things go out of fashion so quick, it's just not worth building anything of substance anymore.

I love Victorian architecture but it's just no viable now. Costs would be prohibitive.
True like. Was ruminating similar about Durham the other day, where they're managing to replace a git massive block of concrete flat roof boxes from the 60s with a git massive assortment of flat roof boxes down on the riverside

It's going to be sympathetically restored

Why is it so important that we have “shelters”? I can honestly say I’ve never used a shelter in my adult life. Is it just in case it rains? Are there people out there who run for cover at the first sign of precipitation?
Hang over from Victorian times when people didn’t have their cars parked around the corner to jump in when it rains. The people complaining now had the opportunity to object to the change of use application that went through a year back. The planning application was probably pinned to the wall in the shelter for all to see but as none of the nimbys use the shelter they didn’t realise and object.

Back