Blackfishing

It's when a Muslim comes over here and wears jeans instead of a burkha.

Given his hair and surname that's embracing his heritage. ;)

I just had a quick look at the Wikipedia page for the song. Apparantely the bell fruit is quoted as saying “the whole point of folk songs is taking inspiration from the past and making something new.” Muppet. That’s exactly what the point of folk songs is not.

I just had a quick look at the Wikipedia page for the song. Apparantely the bell fruit is quoted as saying “the whole point of folk songs is taking inspiration from the past and making something new.” Muppet. That’s exactly what the point of folk songs is not.
I always assumed the point of folk songs was probably to pass along stories in a memorable way in times where most people couldn't read.

what the fuck is 'cultural appropriation' anyhoo?
If there was a film made about the life and career of Charlie Hurley and the lead role was played by Ant or Dec this place would go nuclear. Basically that's it.

That is cultural appropriation and the stupid feelings it endears in folk.
So reading the article - 2 lasses - not a big issue imho then
It's rarely an issue full stop.

I want to go back to the early 19080s when the universe was normal. Before the wormhole got me and transported me to this one.

Northern working class culture has been appropriated and fetishised for years.

Agreed and it's the same problem there, for example kids who grew up in country mansions in the home counties and went to RADA playing working class characters with stagey f***ing accents while skmekne who's actually working class has got more comments chance of going to space than getting a job in acting

what the fuck is 'cultural appropriation' anyhoo?
It's when black people use facebook.

Well it is certainly worth asking the question why the people who make the decisions are happy to borrow the culture and creative output of different groups but consistently don't give job opportunities to people from those other groups
Probably a lot of reasons. But at the same time I don't think western minorities should be excluded from white media. Whichever way you take the cultural appropriation argument it's logical conclusion just falls apart for me. But I understand your point of view. I just don't think it's necessarily fair.

Last edited:
who the fuck came up with this shite ?
i refuse to accept it is a thing

I was being disingenuous but of course it's a thing it's been around for decades. I don't think that every instance of it is harmful, on the contrary I think it can often be positive. If I get dreads I should get pelters for looking like a knob rather than for cultural appropriation.

@Cockney Mackem's post earlier in the thread are good examples of how it can be damaging though imo.

I was being disingenuous but of course it's a thing it's been around for decades. I don't think that every instance of it is harmful, on the contrary I think it can often be positive. If I get dreads I should get pelters for looking like a knob rather than for cultural appropriation.

@Cockney Mackem's post earlier in the thread are good examples of how it can be damaging though imo.

aye i know that ;)
it's all bollocks thought really

Literally any sound idea or concept can be fucked up by students and people on twitter

So apparently this is a thing now. Pretending to be black on social media in an effort to be more popular.

Instagram users facing death threats after being accused of posing as black women online — The Telegraph

I thought we were still living in a world where blacks were the underclass and aspired to be white to be more popular?

Christ knows what world you live in Herbal.
Last count was one where "People throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems"

Back