Blackfishing

So apparently this is a thing now. Pretending to be black on social media in an effort to be more popular.

Instagram users facing death threats after being accused of posing as black women online — The Telegraph

I thought we were still living in a world where blacks were the underclass and aspired to be white to be more popular?
Bunch of SJW's go crazy cos a woman tans her skin to appear darker than she is.

Cultural appropriation, victimhood mentality. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

She should tan herself darker and tell them all to fuck off.

Bunch of SJW's go crazy cos a woman tans her skin to appear darker than she is.

Cultural appropriation, victimhood mentality. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

She should tan herself darker and tell them all to fuck off.
And surely if it’s done in a non-fancy dress way then they should be flattered.

And surely if it’s done in a non-fancy dress way then they should be flattered.
Wouldn't matter if it was fancy dress either, people have tanned themselves for years, we naturally tan in the sun, the reason why black people are black is because historically their ancestors spent the most time in the sun, people shouldn't be offended by this :lol:

Cultural appropriation is just a bi product of the victimhood narrative of people wanting others to feel sorry for them and be outraged by false racism. If an african-american wants to complain to a polish-indian about cultural appropriation without being a hypocrite she needs to do it face to face because last time I checked social media was invented by white guys in california.

Wouldn't matter if it was fancy dress either, people have tanned themselves for years, we naturally tan in the sun, the reason why black people are black is because historically their ancestors spent the most time in the sun, people shouldn't be offended by this :lol:

Cultural appropriation is just a bi product of the victimhood narrative of people wanting others to feel sorry for them and be outraged by false racism. If an african-american wants to complain to a polish-indian about cultural appropriation without being a hypocrite she needs to do it face to face because last time I checked social media was invented by white guys in california.

I would respectfully suggest that just because a concept is misused by some idiots, it is perhaps a little reductive to write off the entire concept as "just" that.

Cultural appropriation is a real thing if for example a given demographic group have created or invented something, and what they've created is borrowed by the mainstream but people from that demographic group are still excluded. A classic example would be when the 70s TV series Kung Fu, which Bruce Lee had at least a part to play in creating, refused to cast him as a Chinese leading character in the show and got a white bloke to play that role instead. Or white radio refusing to play black performers hits on the air, and getting white performers to cover them while cheating the original black creators out of royalties or credit.

Things have moved on since those examples but you still have the film the Matrix where they're all doing martial arts originating in China and the far East, but only one speaking role out of nearly 40 in the cast goes to an actor of East Asian origin. Or Ridley Scott's film set in Egypt with all white actors.

Clearly the answer to this problem is to credit and reward the cultures you borrow from and have more opportunities for people of all backgrounds rather than stop peoope sharing culture, and obviously all the people in the story reported in the OP are silly sausages. But cultural appropriation is not *just* an invented issue

If I didn’t use mainstream social media for business I think I would just fuck it off completely.
i use it for my clubs training but seeing as ive done nowt now for 8 months if i don't get back into it i'll be leavin bellendbook asap, its a platform for mid life crises

I would respectfully suggest that just because a concept is misused by some idiots, it is perhaps a little reductive to write off the entire concept as "just" that.

Cultural appropriation is a real thing if for example a given demographic group have created or invented something, and what they've created is borrowed by the mainstream but people from that demographic group are still excluded. A classic example would be when the 70s TV series Kung Fu, which Bruce Lee had at least a part to play in creating, refused to cast him as a Chinese leading character in the show and got a white bloke to play that role instead. Or white radio refusing to play black performers hits on the air, and getting white performers to cover them while cheating the original black creators out of royalties or credit.

Things have moved on since those examples but you still have the film the Matrix where they're all doing martial arts originating in China and the far East, but only one speaking role out of nearly 40 in the cast goes to an actor of East Asian origin. Or Ridley Scott's film set in Egypt with all white actors.

Clearly the answer to this problem is to credit and reward the cultures you borrow from and have more opportunities for people of all backgrounds rather than stop peoope sharing culture, and obviously all the people in the story reported in the OP are silly sausages. But cultural appropriation is not *just* an invented issue
Your arguments from decades ago, I see your point but I don't know if it fits cultural appropriation because it just seems like straight up racism to me, it's hard to define what culture would be the correct one i.e. black artists who were replaced didn't just perform music from their culture and I certainly wouldn't want asian countries to not replicate western cultured shows as they do and feel they had to put white people in them. I know the story though and he was replaced on not just that show for straight up racism.

However your modern analogies just don't hold ground. The chinese film industry has thousands of films that contain all chinese actors using guns that originated over here in fight scenes, they shouldn't have to put white people in their movies. The matrix was produced in the vision of the people who invented it and if they want to use what they have learned of other cultures that is completely up to them.

The indian film industry produces wild west movies full of indian charachters.. not a single white person in sight. No one bats an eyelid. Nobody cares.

The truth is it's only ever cultural appropriation if you are white and that in itself is racist. Why are these people making movies anyway.... their cultures didn't produce the camera or the cinema. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Your arguments from decades ago are sound, I don't know if it fits cultural appropriation because it just seems like straight up racism to me, it's hard to define what culture would be the correct one i.e. black artists who were replaced didn't just perform music from their culture and I certainly wouldn't want asian countries to not replicated western cultured shows and feel they had to put white people in them. I know the story though and he was replaced on not just that show for straight up racism.

However your modern analogies just don't hold ground. The chinese film industry has thousands of films that contain all chinese actors using guns that originated over here in fight scenes, they shouldn't have to put white people in their movies. The matrix was produced in the vision of the people who invented it and if they want to use what they have learned of other cultures that is completely up to them.

The indian film industry produces wild west movies full of indian charachters.. not a single white person in sight. No one bats an eyelid. Nobody cares.

The truth is it's only ever cultural appropriation if you are white and that in itself is racist. Why are these people making movies anyway.... their cultures didn't produce the camera or the cinema. The whole thing is ridiculous.

That's rather missing the point when the question is the western film industry and for example Chinese American actors who feel quite strongly that they aren't getting cast in roles in the country in which they live and work

That's rather missing the point when the question is the western film industry and for example Chinese American actors who feel quite strongly that they aren't getting cast in roles in the country in which they live and work
There are way more white actors and actresses who aren't getting work. Joys of being a job when only a very few people are successful. Just because a film makes use of your culture... as if there is a thing, it's usually the case that people are such a mix of all sorts we have multiple cultures. Either way the argument eventually always falls down. when you take it to its logical conclusion.

I mean the only time I think it applies, and I don't think the word is cultural appropriation but it would be when a person of another colour plays a historical figure of another colour. Although then again... you're going to have schools etc. where this will become a major problem so..... I think the whole thing is stupid and should be abandoned :D

Northern working class culture has been appropriated and fetishised for years.

Back