Blackadder Goes Forth

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was pretty good and funny. Still preferred the first series. The setting. The characters. The script was at times superb. Brian Essed was perfect for King Richard IV and Jim Broadbent was, as ever, fantastic.

Witchsmeller Pursuivant & Black Seal were hilarious episodes, also Jim Broadbent as interpretor to the Spanish Infanta played by Miriam Margoyles was brilliant.

Witchsmeller Pursuivant & Black Seal were hilarious episodes, also Jim Broadbent as interpretor to the Spanish Infanta played by Miriam Margoyles was brilliant.

Also superb as Lady Whiteadder in Series 2 - "Don't call me aunty - aunts are relatives - and relatives are evidence of sex!"

My personal favourite is probably Goes Forth, but 2 and 3 push it so close. Even the first series has some fine moments when you take the time to review it - but I think the characters are better honed from series 2 onwards, they just seem to interact better - in series 1 the comedy feels too 'forced'.

The Witch episode was the only one I didn't like.
The last one (Black Seal?) where he is rounding up his lynch men and he finds "Unspeakably Violent Jack... the bull buggering priest killer of no fixed abode" is class.

It was pretty good and funny. Still preferred the first series. The setting. The characters. The script was at times superb. Brian Essed was perfect for King Richard IV and Jim Broadbent was, as ever, fantastic.
The first series is the one I never watch repeats of. I thought it was poor compared to following series' and so did the BBC. Curtis and Atkinson, the writers, were told to improve it for s2 and cut the budget. They brought in Ben Elton to improve the scripts from series 2 onwards which he did excellently. I know it's down to personal opinion but I didn't like the first blackadders. I couldnt believe the improvements they made after that mind, it turned into one of the best comedy shows ever.

The first series is the one I never watch repeats of. I thought it was poor compared to following series' and so did the BBC. Curtis and Atkinson, the writers, were told to improve it for s2 and cut the budget. They brought in Ben Elton to improve the scripts from series 2 onwards which he did excellently. I know it's down to personal opinion but I didn't like the first blackadders. I couldnt believe the improvements they made after that mind, it turned into one of the best comedy shows ever.

Didn’t they flip the Blackadder characters making baldrick the thick one for series 2?

They brought in Ben Elton to improve the scripts from series 2 onwards which he did excellently.
Apparently Ben Elton would write three, Curtis would write another three. They'd then "swap" their three manuscripts and the other one would then edit\add\remove the other three works, creating six finished episodes.

Didn’t they flip the Blackadder characters making baldrick the thick one for series 2?
I don't really remember Baldric in the first series. Edmund was a bit simple and they changed his character massively for the second. The second series is I'd say my favourite. That episode with old Dr Who as the ship's captain was hilarious. He was drinking Urine before the water ran out. :lol:Makes me laugh every time I see it.

Also superb as Lady Whiteadder in Series 2 - "Don't call me aunty - aunts are relatives - and relatives are evidence of sex!"

My personal favourite is probably Goes Forth, but 2 and 3 push it so close. Even the first series has some fine moments when you take the time to review it - but I think the characters are better honed from series 2 onwards, they just seem to interact better - in series 1 the comedy feels too 'forced'.

Jim Broadbent was originally wanted for the role of Lord Whiteadder but was involved in something else.

I don't really remember Baldric in the first series. Edmund was a bit simple and they changed his character massively for the second. The second series is I'd say my favourite. That episode with old Dr Who as the ship's captain was hilarious. He was drinking Urine before the water ran out. :lol:Makes me laugh every time I see it.
You have women’s legs my Lord! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back