Black Box - young driver advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s my worry - if he gets bumped from a black box deal then he’ll be buggered for next insurance

What are rules if I put myself as main driver - I could easily drive more miles then him him but not as frequent

Tesco have a warning system in place where it's pretty hard to get it cancelled (3 strikes and you're out). Bad drivers may not get renewed at year 2 but generally price goes down from year 2 due to an extra year of experience and no extra cost for fitting the box.

my eldest didn’t bother with one but my youngest is going to need one to afford insurance

Tesco’s is cheapest- any tips/advice appreciated

He’ll be driving about 6 miles a day commute to work (7am - 5pm) then evenings weekends with his mates just around town - not many long journeys

I'm 20, went with MoreThan insurance with a black box. I travel about 5/6 miles for work per day and rarely use it for much else. I'm out almost every weekend so rarely have time to use it, especially during the winter. I got 6,000 miles on my insurance and I don't get anywhere near that - I probably use about 2,500 miles.

They don't seem that bad on restrictions, I'm not the best/most sensible driver either.

I'm changing insurance this year like.

I worked for More Than Smart Wheels for 3.5 years. Do not use them, I can't stress it enough. Nothing against the company themselves but the restrictions & penalties are simply not worth it.

They don't seem that bad on restrictions and penalties until the end of the month. I always get alright scores until near the end of the month when I'm set to get some money back depending on my score and suddenly all my scores gan to -10 for a week. Frauds. I've never had formal warnings off them though, I'd probably recommend them.

Last edited:
Got a black box when i passed at 21, was around £800 a year for a 1.0L Corsa.

Girlfriend passed at 18 and got a black box in a old punto, was over £2k!

Mind mine is still around £600, after being passed 4 years, but get insurance though nissan scheme so built in. GF is now down to £300 after 5 years.

Worth getting if you can stick to the 'rules'

Last edited:
Got a black box when i passed at 21, was around £800 a month for a 1.0L Corsa.

Girlfriend passed at 18 and got a black box in a old punto, was over £2k!

Mind mine is still around £600, after being passed 4 years, but get insurance though nissan scheme so built in. GF is now down to £300 after 5 years.

Worth getting if you can stick to the 'rules'
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I’ve got a nagging fear that these boxes are a case ‘if you tolerate this, then your children will be next’, but rather ‘if your kids tolerate this, then we’ll all be next’. I can see a time in the near future when all cars are required to have them and we’ll be getting grassed on by our own motors. You know the powers that be would love to see it...automatic fines when the car reports you’ve nudged 71 in a 70 zone, etc. It’s a disgusting abuse of power imo.

Never put yourself as the main driver and your child 2nd as they need to try build up a no claims in their name as main driver in order to bring down their insurance , However it does reduce the price if you put yourself as an additional driver

I’ve got a nagging fear that these boxes are a case ‘if you tolerate this, then your children will be next’, but rather ‘if your kids tolerate this, then we’ll all be next’. I can see a time in the near future when all cars are required to have them and we’ll be getting grassed on by our own motors. You know the powers that be would love to see it...automatic fines when the car reports you’ve nudged 71 in a 70 zone, etc. It’s a disgusting abuse of power imo.
It would be getting ripped straight out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back