Bit of bother before the Portsmouth match

Kevs Golden Boot

Subs Bench
Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, but there was about 30 or so Portsmouth fans heading over the bridge towards the stadium singing the usual shite pompey songs about 25 mins before kick-off, one of our rose to it and they started scrapping. A few punches were thrown by a few different lads and a couple landed (a Portsmouth fan was put on his back) a bottle or 2 was smashed, could have been a lot worse had any more of our lot wanted it.
not ideal was busy with a lot of kids present.

Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, but there was about 30 or so Portsmouth fans heading over the bridge towards the stadium singing the usual shite pompey songs about 25 mins before kick-off, one of our rose to it and they started scrapping. A few punches were thrown by a few different lads and a couple landed (a Portsmouth fan was put on his back) a bottle or 2 was smashed, could have been a lot worse had any more of our lot wanted it.
not ideal was busy with a lot of kids present.

So, football fans were singing walking to the ground which is a normal thing to do and they get punched up for it?

So, football fans were singing walking to the ground which is a normal thing to do and they get punched up for it?
Yeah exactly, the Portsmouth fans were young lads, they were signing about cheesy chips, and that ‘sunderlands a massive club, are they f***’.
however it was our supporter that rose to it, unnecessarily. Only thought I’d mention as I haven’t seen anything like it at home for years

Thought it was quite funny after the match, we walk the backlane way to the SOL metro, when you come to Newcastle Road the backlane forks off into another backlane, 4 lads veered off from the crowd going to the metro and up to the other backlane to nowhere and then started chanting blue army once they were away from everyone in a random backlane!

Always been tossers pompey fans....Roker Baths Road in 93 was a bit lively, when 6K of them came up for their staying up party and we promptly despatched them 4-1......ironically we had our own "party" at Notts Co the week after and there was hell on amongst ourselves 🙈

Last edited:
There were what looked like two 60 somethings squaring up outside the NE corner on the way out. Like overweight Steptoes, one of them had a little rolly hanging out his gob, proper dukes up.

Always been tossers pompey fans....Roker Baths Road in 93 was a bit lively, when 6K of them came up for their staying up party and we promptly despatched them 4-1......ironically we had our own "party" at Notts Co the week after and there was hell on amongst ourselves 🙈
I remember that well. They had a player sent off too.
Came out the ground and it was like ww3 had started with the police struggling to control it. As I was about 15 I wanted to watch but my Dad dragged me off!

Back