Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

Walked past a hotel in Westfield Stratford yesterday and police outside then saw that it was london hq for the games. Few competitor's swanning around..

Quick Google and it seems they are using the velodrome in the Olympic park as building one in Brum wasn't cost effective

I think the short notice with which Brum took over hosting when Durban had to drop out also contributed to this. Only two new venues and one renovated.

Stadium looks fantastic
It’s been a bitch driving round there the past year with loads of roadworks but they’ve done an absolutely cracking job with both that and the aquatic centre in Sandwell.

Given they picked it up as a rescue job and throw in the pandemic to the mix they really do have to be congratulated for how well they’ve done.

Quite loking forward to it. The track cycling and swimming should be quite competitive with the nations that are taking part.

I think it was the 1986 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh which got me into live sport. The 84 Olympics had mostly passed me by because of the time difference. I was addicted to the whole thing, watched it endlessly and kept a very nerdy notebook with all of the results.

Last edited:
I think it was the 1986 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh which got me into live sport. The 84 Olympics had mostly passed me by because of the time difference. I was addicted to the whole thing, watched it endlessly and kept a very nerdy notebook with all of the results.
Brisbane in 82 for me. Because of the time difference, there was an early morning programme 'Breakfast with Brisbane' from 7am til 9, so I'd get up early and watch before going to school.

Unthinkable nowadays, but it was the first time that TV had broadcast that early in the morning, but the number of viewers proved there was a demand, so breakfast TV started the following January

Back