Bikers of the smb

Bad luck that, sounds like kids, a pro you wouldn’t have seen it again. What bike was it? I’ve never had any bothe on the hill leaving a bike but Proto is a bit out the way, the darker side.

Think il be getting an Africa twin next when I get tired of mine.
There was talk of them bring smaller version out a CRF 850-don't know if that's still in the pipeline.

The problem with those bikes was they lacked the power to get you to the trails. Manufacturers are trying to create the unicorn bike- something with enough power 70-90 bhp for the road and touring, but also not too heavy for the off-road stuff. Yamaha, thought they'd done it, but it's still a 200kg tall bike. I've done a few trails on mine, Rudland Rigg, around Dalby, Slaley and Broxa forest. I've seen more experienced riders use it on more challenging stuff- I haven't the skills for that. ideally, I'd also have a CRF 300l or a KTM EXC in the garage for the green lanes (and a van to get them there) but that would probably lead to a divorce.

Have to say, I'm enjoying the relaxed, taller ADV bike more than the GSXR I used to have. I used to be crippled after a couple of hours on the Gixer.
Just recently done a 2500 mile 11 day trip to Spain n down Portugal on my GSA and expected to be in agony with aches but only the obvious arse ache on the run back up from Plymouth to Sunderland was only issue
Did an awesome 200 miles round Northumberland and the borders on Sunday, then washed, checked over and put away ready fo this Fridays trip to the western isles, or so I thought. Got in early from work yesterday so decided to run down to Proto on westgate road to pick up some gloves I’d seen that he was doing a good deal on, decided at last minute to take the bike, big mistake. Pulled up a couple of doors along from shop, steering lock on, went in, tried gloves (I was the only customer), paid for them and left, 3 or 4 minutes tops, bike was gone. Devastated. Was found after a tip off to police about 90 minutes later less than a mile away, ignition striped, foot peg ripped off where it had been over on right side and a few other bumps and grazes but nothing major. Seat has been peeled back by hand to to get underneath it and is a bit out of shape, steering lock also broken. Looks like Fridays trip is off.
Sorry to hear that like and just dregs of the earth.

Last edited:
Did an awesome 200 miles round Northumberland and the borders on Sunday, then washed, checked over and put away ready fo this Fridays trip to the western isles, or so I thought. Got in early from work yesterday so decided to run down to Proto on westgate road to pick up some gloves I’d seen that he was doing a good deal on, decided at last minute to take the bike, big mistake. Pulled up a couple of doors along from shop, steering lock on, went in, tried gloves (I was the only customer), paid for them and left, 3 or 4 minutes tops, bike was gone. Devastated. Was found after a tip off to police about 90 minutes later less than a mile away, ignition striped, foot peg ripped off where it had been over on right side and a few other bumps and grazes but nothing major. Seat has been peeled back by hand to to get underneath it and is a bit out of shape, steering lock also broken. Looks like Fridays trip is off.
Vermin! Hope you get it sorted soon. A mate's bike got nicked years ago - Thundercat - bloke who nicked it ended up killing himself wheelying up and down his street in Pallion-wrapped it around a lampost. Not that you want to see that, but what stuck in my mate's craw was the family comments saying what a lovely bloke he was, pillar of the community and all that and how his bike was his pride and joy he'd worked hard to afford.
Would be the 1000 for me, should hit the sweet spot price in a couple of years.
Nearly bought one from the place in Boldon -all black DCT -2017 plate.

Last edited:
Vermin! Hope you get it sorted soon. A mate's bike got nicked years ago - Thundercat - bloke who nicked it ended up killing himself wheelying up and down his street in Pallion-wrapped it around a lampost. Not that you want to see that, but what stuck in my mate's craw was the family comments saying what a lovely bloke he was, pillar of the community and all that and how his bike was his pride and joy he'd worked hard to afford.

Definitely one I’m going to keep an eye on.

Aye ranguns tend to get a glowing reference if they’ve bit the dust by doing something they shouldn’t have been doing.

Bastards.

Bad luck that, sounds like kids, a pro you wouldn’t have seen it again. What bike was it? I’ve never had any bothe on the hill leaving a bike but Proto is a bit out the way, the darker side.

Think il be getting an Africa twin next when I get tired of mine.

I have it in my head I'll be getting the red and black twin next year,once that happens 99% I'll get what I want 😂
Sorry to hear, it's canny shite Westgate road these days but this just makes it worse

Last edited:
scumbags.

westgate road used to be terrible for bikes getting nicked, stripped and in the breakers before the owners knew it was missing.

scumbags.

westgate road used to be terrible for bikes getting nicked, stripped and in the breakers before the owners knew it was missing.
I think this was a couple of numpties saw me park up and fancied their chances, didn’t have the ability to match their ambition so just dumped it and caused max damage in the process.

I’ve not been up the hill for a few years now but I used to love the place back in the day.

I saw this big ginger lad wheely a nitrous Slingshot up the hill - he lost it and ended up in Ken’s doorway with lots of road rash.

I’ve not been up the hill for a few years now but I used to love the place back in the day.

I saw this big ginger lad wheely a nitrous Slingshot up the hill - he lost it and ended up in Ken’s doorway with lots of road rash.
It's a shadow of itself. I even went back to get some Mx stuff and the shop we used to goto was a carpet shop. It was on a weekend and it was deserted

It's a shadow of itself. I even went back to get some Mx stuff and the shop we used to goto was a carpet shop. It was on a weekend and it was deserted
Shame that.

Used to love a hill breakfast and a wipe of your table with a scruffy grey cloth.

set you up for a blast to Kielder

If I want new bike attire now I use J&S near the metro centre or custom lids on team valley.
Hadn’t been to Westgate for years and was shocked to see way it is now and defo a
shadow of its formed self ☹️

Back