Best Western Film Ever

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
It is a very good film but I think he is better in the Trilogy westerns from Ford.
He's your archetypal cowboy, merely through the number of films he made and how society viewed them at the time. I like The Searchers though because he's playing against type, ironically it was probably easier for him to play an arsehole than his usual fare. :lol:
He is superb in it mind.

Ended up watching Fistful of Dollars last night... class.
I haven't read the full thread as I don't want to get banned but I hope someone has mentioned The Searchers. John Wayne in the only film he made where his character wasn't a true blue American hero. He plays an ageing veteran in it, a bigoted, cruel, racist, amoral horrible bastard with chips on both shoulders and more axes to grind than a blacksmith after his holidays, and that's just his plus points. A classic.
Dint like John Wayne. Can just about get away with him in The Searchers and True Grit though.

Last edited:
Loads of them , always used to go to my great granda’s on a Saturday, wrestling, footy program ( can’t remember the name) then there was always a “ cowboy film” on as he called them.. good, happy memories, sitting on the arm of the couch making on I was riding a hoss like a cowboy.. early 80’s. class times.

as others have said, Josey Wales is my favourite.

Just thought of A Man Called Horse. Haven’t seen it for decades but was quite struck by it as a youngun.

Me too, watched it once as a young 'un and also 'Return of a Man Called Horse'

But not sure why, it is one of those films I can always remember, but I must have been around 10 when I watched it.

While I wouldn't call them the best, if you like the genre these are some underrated but enjoyable westerns:

Major Dundee
Silverado
The Gunfighter
Hostiles
Open Range
Young Guns
Django (the original spaghetti Western)
The Long Riders
Geronimo: An American Legend
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
Soldier Blue
The Horse Soldiers
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Death Rides A Horse

There's a class line in Unforgiven where Clint shoots the landlord of the boozer after shouting "Who's the owner of this shithole?"
Hackman says "You just shot an unarmed man"
Clint replies "Well he should have armed himself"
:lol:

Hackman - "I dont deserve this"
Clint - "Deserves got nothing to do with it"

Surprised nobody has mentioned the original 3.10 to Yuma, i wouldn't class it as the best but still a canny western. I haven't seen the remake. Lee Marvin is class playing the villain in westerns, two i like him in are seven men from now and The Man who shot Liberty Valance.

Back