Best ways to get rid of stinging nettles in the garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

For a few years I have struggled to get rid of them. Dug the roots up last years but a new patch of them are now coming up. But last month in a moment of inspiration, because I am against using weed killer, I thought 'Slash on them, it works on Dandelion plants'. :cool:
So for the past months at night, sometimes I have be slashing on a sample patch at the front and successfully some have died and others of the new shoots are wilting. The sample core is working!
The ones at the back that I have worked on yet are bidder now and starting to grow quick, I am now starting to work on them. There is no question of my aim not hitting any target, because as a kid I had many years experience writing my name on the ground or walls.

The question is, it looks like I am winning the battle but when Springtime proper kicks in, will I eventually end up fighting more and more, only wound, not kill the roots and lose the battle?

Other suggestions are welcome!

Ask your husband?

Ask your husband?
:eek: I'm a gadgie.:eek: And if I was a woman, the risk of squatting over a pile of nettles is too far a greater risk than just a safe distance jet fire.

You're looking at this all wrong
Think about the wildlife
The beautiful butterflies
You could write wonderful poetry
You could show your young lady the butterflies whilst reciting poetry
Oh err
Weedkiller mate weedkiller
I already leave a few patches of wild flowers that the Butterflies, Bees and Moths love. It is great inspiration for my poetry.:cool:
Too many sterile gardens these days, that don't consider the wildlife. I offer them a feast.

Last edited:
For a few years I have struggled to get rid of them. Dug the roots up last years but a new patch of them are now coming up. But last month in a moment of inspiration, because I am against using weed killer, I thought 'Slash on them, it works on Dandelion plants'. :cool:
So for the past months at night, sometimes I have be slashing on a sample patch at the front and successfully some have died and others of the new shoots are wilting. The sample core is working!
The ones at the back that I have worked on yet are bidder now and starting to grow quick, I am now starting to work on them. There is no question of my aim not hitting any target, because as a kid I had many years experience writing my name on the ground or walls.

The question is, it looks like I am winning the battle but when Springtime proper kicks in, will I eventually end up fighting more and more, only wound, not kill the roots and lose the battle?

Other suggestions are welcome!
Your piss is modifying their DNA making it impossible for them to reproduce.

Nettles do have a bad reputation, but they can be useful. Apart from making nettle tea, you can make them into plant feed as it’s nitrogen rich. Cut or crush the nettles into small pieces and cram into a large container. Weigh the nettles down with bricks, and submerge with water (rainwater is best but store away from the house, to avoid the smell). Leave for three or four weeks then dilute for direct use (one part concentrate to 10 parts water).
Nettles are also a primary food source for some butterflies, if the caterpillars can’t eat the nettles, they may eat your plants instead.
Ladybirds also like nettles as they attract aphids which the ladybird larvae will eat, as well as other pests.
Finally you can put them on the compost heap, if they are chopped up (not the roots) as they work as an accelerator. Mix them up with lots of other material so that they don’t go slimy.

Nettles do have a bad reputation, but they can be useful. Apart from making nettle tea, you can make them into plant feed as it’s nitrogen rich. Cut or crush the nettles into small pieces and cram into a large container. Weigh the nettles down with bricks, and submerge with water (rainwater is best but store away from the house, to avoid the smell). Leave for three or four weeks then dilute for direct use (one part concentrate to 10 parts water).
Nettles are also a primary food source for some butterflies, if the caterpillars can’t eat the nettles, they may eat your plants instead.
Ladybirds also like nettles as they attract aphids which the ladybird larvae will eat, as well as other pests.
Finally you can put them on the compost heap, if they are chopped up (not the roots) as they work as an accelerator. Mix them up with lots of other material so that they don’t go slimy.
Good post.:)
The wildlife prefer the other wild plants in my garden rather than the nettles, so they can go. Mind, on a search I have discovered that you can make nettle beer.

Nettle Beer Recipe - Great British Chefs

Also, I remember Bear Grills, made straps for a satchel, using nettles. That could always come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back