Best ways to get rid of stinging nettles in the garden?

For a few years I have struggled to get rid of them. Dug the roots up last years but a new patch of them are now coming up. But last month in a moment of inspiration, because I am against using weed killer, I thought 'Slash on them, it works on Dandelion plants'. :cool:
So for the past months at night, sometimes I have be slashing on a sample patch at the front and successfully some have died and others of the new shoots are wilting. The sample core is working!
The ones at the back that I have worked on yet are bidder now and starting to grow quick, I am now starting to work on them. There is no question of my aim not hitting any target, because as a kid I had many years experience writing my name on the ground or walls.

The question is, it looks like I am winning the battle but when Springtime proper kicks in, will I eventually end up fighting more and more, only wound, not kill the roots and lose the battle?

Other suggestions are welcome!
Black plastic over the area for a year.

Go into the garden naked and roll around in them for 20 minutes. Do this daily until you become immune to their stings. Then, build yourself a nettle suit and declare yourself King of the Nettles. Then, send a letter to parliament challenging Queen Elizabeth to a 1v1 nettle fight. She will have no choice but to accept your rightful challenge for the throne. When you inevitably defeat her in battle, which you will, march with your nettle army across Europe and create the United Nations of Nettle. Once done, threaten the US that if they don't hand over power to you immedietly you'll invade on your nettle fleet. Trump will concede to your superior army of nettles and ask for leniency for his people. Ignore his pleas. Invade the US, defeat him with your nettle gun (I assume you'll have learned how to craft nettle weapons by then), wipe out the US population and replace them with nettles. Congratulations, you are now leader of the Western world. Simple.
This seems to be the only logical solution imo.

Good post.:)
Also, I remember Bear Grills, made straps for a satchel, using nettles. That could always come in handy.

You mean how they are biodegradable so the police can't tell the body found in the shallow grave had been tied up?

(I'm genuinely a bit concenrend that that was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post)
Nah, harmful to the environment and would also not want to get arrested for 'Bleach of the peace'.

Or bleach of the peas if your veg patch is next door to the nettles?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back