Best time to hand in your resignation

Sounds like he'll be fine just not worth taking any risks. Police are only human and may have cocked up some admin somewhere. If they have, you might have no job. If all is well and you escape before the 3 months, then bonus.

They will probably hold me to it.

Up until 1st of Feb from now is our busiest time of year.

I'm also the only person apart from the partner who knows how to put together superannuation certificates for the gp pension schemes so they know how much to pay into them, which is usually done Feb/march.

Last edited:

They will probably hold me to it.

Up until 1st of Feb from now is our busiest time of year.

I'm also the only person apart from the partner who knows how to put together superannuation certificates for the gp pension schemes so they know how much to pay into them, which is usually done Feb/march.
Don't burn any bridges mate. You never know.

Need to hand my notice in. I'm actually pretty nervous about it, its the first time I will have handed a notice in where I still respect the firm and management. However, they always take it personally and the relationship will probably sour.

Not sure on the best course of action, the other company have asked me to join ASAP (3 month notice period).

However, the new company have said in the offer letter that it is subject to police and credit checks. I assume that I should wait until these checks have been done?
Congrats

I'd be tempted to talk to the new company about what people usually do and how long the checks usually take. It can be really tempting to just stick in your notice.

In 2005, we decided to move closer to my wife's family and I got a job with the police due to start in late July. My wife had already started her job and was living in the in-laws spare room so I was keen to get going. Negotiated a shorter notice period with my work (I'd told them months ago I was going to be leaving), packed the house up into storage, give keys to an estate agent to sell my house for me and off I went, confidence the checks would have completed in time.

Then a few people decided to bomb London transport (July 7th attacks) and suddenly all security people needed to be checked. Anyone not currently working (and therefore a lower risk to national security) were pushed to the bottom of the pile. I didn't end up starting until mid-September.

From my point of view, living costs were low, we had savings to cover, we didn't have a house so no DIY and all the other jobs that constantly need doing, I just had a free summer to do what I like and it was quite nice. But if it had gone on much longer I'd have been getting nervous. If I had not cut my notice period at my other place or held off resigning then I would have been ok financially.

It had got to the point where I'd started doing a professional certifications as private study, into networking (my former career before looking at stuff with the police), got the first one and was working on the more advanced. As it happened the job turned out to be a nightmare and this private study to fill my time turned out to be my way out, so it all worked out well.

Congrats

I'd be tempted to talk to the new company about what people usually do and how long the checks usually take. It can be really tempting to just stick in your notice.

In 2005, we decided to move closer to my wife's family and I got a job with the police due to start in late July. My wife had already started her job and was living in the in-laws spare room so I was keen to get going. Negotiated a shorter notice period with my work (I'd told them months ago I was going to be leaving), packed the house up into storage, give keys to an estate agent to sell my house for me and off I went, confidence the checks would have completed in time.

Then a few people decided to bomb London transport (July 7th attacks) and suddenly all security people needed to be checked. Anyone not currently working (and therefore a lower risk to national security) were pushed to the bottom of the pile. I didn't end up starting until mid-September.

From my point of view, living costs were low, we had savings to cover, we didn't have a house so no DIY and all the other jobs that constantly need doing, I just had a free summer to do what I like and it was quite nice. But if it had gone on much longer I'd have been getting nervous. If I had not cut my notice period at my other place or held off resigning then I would have been ok financially.

It had got to the point where I'd started doing a professional certifications as private study, into networking (my former career before looking at stuff with the police), got the first one and was working on the more advanced. As it happened the job turned out to be a nightmare and this private study to fill my time turned out to be my way out, so it all worked out well.

Thanks for that. Good advice.

I will accept the offer but be upfront about not wanting to put my notice in until clearance has been given. Will ask how long it takes and be as amicable as possible.

We would be up shit creek if I was out of work. My wife was miserable teaching and we agreed to let her quit and do her own thing. It brings in a bit but it wouldn't cover the mortgage and bills.

When that happens the best thing to do it just book a last minute holiday. It's great being away and not have to worry about going back to work immediately.

I resigned from a job few years ago and I told my manager she wouldn't be seeing me again. She said I had to give a weeks notice but I told her I had booked a weeks holiday several weeks ago and my holiday started tomorrow.

I resigned from a job few years ago and I told my manager she wouldn't be seeing me again. She said I had to give a weeks notice but I told her I had booked a weeks holiday several weeks ago and my holiday started tomorrow.
I had a job where I queried the contract which said
"In the first 6 months your employment may be terminated within a working week. If you wish to terminate your contract you must give at least a complete calendar month".

As well as being imbalanced, that could be read as they can notify you on a Friday it is your last day. If you resign on the 2nd of the month you can't leave until the end of the following month. I don't think any of that would stand up on court but even taken at the minimum it was if they don't like me, I get a week, if I don't like them, I give a month.

Nobody chased me to get the contract signed and because of a few other issues, I left that job quite quickly. I handed in my notice on a Wednesday and said I'd work until the following Friday. They were upset by this, said it was breach of contract if I left in under a month. I took great pleasure in saying "What contract? A week and a half for somewhere I've been 5 weeks and you openly admitted you lied to me at interview seems reasonable, but if you are not happy with that, I could leave sooner". I was not popular when I left. Oh well.

Just one the deed. It was awful, probably how shooting a puppy feels.

First time I have done it where i respect and like the people and company. was sitting on in for week

Back