Best time to hand in your resignation

Always best to avoid a potential awkward situation, so best hand your notice in on your first day at your new job. Just phone it in to whoever you know is at work before 9 then pop into your new place of work a few minutes early to show you're keen.

If that isn't actually feasible, other option is to not leave.

I think you next job sounds enjoyable.
😀

Thankfully this is the last one and then time for the nursing home.

Try being a teacher. Don’t get to actually leave the place till the end of term. 7 weeks minimum notice.

And you need to inform your boss if you have an interview due to the nature of the job as teaching interviews last the whole day. Don’t get it and there’s a potential that the boss can make your life shit for the next 12 weeks :lol:

Try being a teacher. Don’t get to actually leave the place till the end of term. 7 weeks minimum notice.

And you need to inform your boss if you have an interview due to the nature of the job as teaching interviews last the whole day. Don’t get it and there’s a potential that the boss can make your life shit for the next 12 weeks :lol:
The perks of having 1/4 of the year lazing about.....

😉

Weighed out by the fact you’re mostly on holiday though.

Put a couple in I was pretty happy about, a couple I was gutted about, and one I even took back.

The last one they didn't even seem arsed, which was nice.

I’m on 6 months notice. Had a 6 month probation period when I started too. I will be retiring when the time comes so it’s immaterial to me.
6 months is a long time. I think 3 months is a bit too long. Does that not hamper other people getting jobs?

6 months is a long time. I think 3 months is a bit too long. Does that not hamper other people getting jobs?
I guess it sort of varies depending upon roles. Most of my teams are on 4 weeks but then the next level managers are on 3 months. My current lot waited 3 months for me, but then I was sort of already helping them with some things while they were waiting for me to start. I would imagine I would do exactly the same if I moved again during the notice period as I hand things over.

Must be a good feeling if financially you are secure enough and unhappy at work to just give notice In and walk away.

Use to quite like my job but got an unwanted (almost forced) promotion 6 month back and it’s been absolute shite since then , get zero help n support and at times way too much stress . Once my kids are financially independent I’d like to walk the walk

I changed jobs earlier in the year, decided I was sick by last September, in the November I was speaking to somewhere I had interviewed for previously (external), was formally offered the job conditional on DBS check in January after another interview, waited 3 months for that to come back then worked a 3 month notice. I actually sourced my replacement who they gave the job to, they were internal and in a probationary period with a 1 week notice, her post was also filled by an internal candidate who was ready to go but then that persons role was vacant and no takers when they put it out. My line manager and the two other people in the chain were all ready and desperate to move but it went higher and basically we all had to wait for my notice period to lapse before we could all move so the vacant post would be filled for longer, so all 3 of us unhappy waiting to start new jobs and 3 separate line managers wanting to get their new people in all had to wait til June when I left, felt like a epoch… NHS

Sounds like a lot of the people on here who have talked about resignation have gone through the same thing I'm going through. Not one specific thing, but every week or every day there is something that really pisses you off. I'd managed to have a not too bad week after 2 years of being mostly pissed off. Coincidently I had barely any contact with my management this week, up until this afternoon, and then office moves were raised.

We spent a fortune refurbing some offices, knocking them into bigger 8 people offices and making some decent space. Now another department wants them and we are being shunted to somewhere grim in another building that was ear marked for demolition before they decided they could not afford a rebuild. The department moving in only likes small single person offices, so they will be converted back, meanwhile we will make the grim place with pokey offices into larger offices like where we are. And my team which looks after the large data centre will now not be anywhere near the data centre. Makes no sense, pisses everyone off and burns money. Bearing in mind we are skint and I spent last week fighting tooth and nail as to why we should pay maintenance and licences on our border firewall (site of about 50,000 networked devices), and that dropping permanently offline would really not be a good idea. No cash for that, money for office moves and refurb back to where our building was 4 years ago. Smart.

Every week, why am I here?

Sounds like a lot of the people on here who have talked about resignation have gone through the same thing I'm going through. Not one specific thing, but every week or every day there is something that really pisses you off. I'd managed to have a not too bad week after 2 years of being mostly pissed off. Coincidently I had barely any contact with my management this week, up until this afternoon, and then office moves were raised.

We spent a fortune refurbing some offices, knocking them into bigger 8 people offices and making some decent space. Now another department wants them and we are being shunted to somewhere grim in another building that was ear marked for demolition before they decided they could not afford a rebuild. The department moving in only likes small single person offices, so they will be converted back, meanwhile we will make the grim place with pokey offices into larger offices like where we are. And my team which looks after the large data centre will now not be anywhere near the data centre. Makes no sense, pisses everyone off and burns money. Bearing in mind we are skint and I spent last week fighting tooth and nail as to why we should pay maintenance and licences on our border firewall (site of about 50,000 networked devices), and that dropping permanently offline would really not be a good idea. No cash for that, money for office moves and refurb back to where our building was 4 years ago. Smart.

Every week, why am I here?
Just jack it in man. Life’s too short.

Back