Best Opening Scene to a Film

Top Gun

4 pages in and no one has mentioned it yet. Too Gun Maverick is also class.

Goldeneye has had a few mentions I thought it was just me that loved that film so much!

Probably some already mentioned that I'd agree with, so I'll throw Prometheus into the mix.

Not my favourite film by a long chalk but loved the opening scene.
I, II, III, IV, V, VI or VI?
Why have you mentioned 6 twice? Trying to sway us away from 7?

Last edited:
Must be the first film that did it? With very difficult technical restraints. Cameras then get lighter studios and sets got bigger and it becomes easier to copy that shot

Digital makes it easier. Leone had a tracking shot planned for his Leningrad film that was so long the camera would have run out of film and they'd have had to splice in a second shot and make it look continuous

It’s a shocker, got Richard burton as Steiner, and Robert Mitchum as some American officer, made late 70s so burton musta been on one of his make any old shit to make cash phases.
That was Mitchums whole career marra.
Having been asked to leave home at 14iirc by his parents during the 30s depression so that they’d be able to feed his younger sister then living an itinerant hobo life jumping freight trains for a few years then a spell as a GI in WW2 it’s hardly surprising that when making easy money became available to him that he milked it. Still my favourite movie star though, just ahead of Bogie.
The Dish is a lovely opening scene that loops back to the ending which makes it even more poignant. I defy anyone to be watching in a dust free environment at the end.

I think The Godfathers opening scene may be slightly too long to be described as an opening scene.

Last edited:
That was Mitchums whole career marra.
Having been asked to leave home at 14iirc by his parents during the 30s depression so that they’d be able to feed his younger sister then living an itinerant hobo life jumping freight trains for a few years then a spell as a GI in WW2 it’s hardly surprising that when making easy money became available to him that he milked it. Still my favourite movie star though, just ahead of Bogie.
The Dish is a lovely opening scene that loops back to the ending which makes it even more poignant. I defy anyone to be watching in a dust free environment at the end.

I think The Godfathers opening scene may be slightly too long to be described as an opening scene.
When asked why he committed to making the TV series ‘The Winds Of War’ at advanced age he said “well I got free lunches for months”😁

The Lion King when all the animals return to Pride Rock to see the new baby.
Can remember going to see it at the pictures with my kids, and started to fill up at that bit.

The only film I ever cried at, apart from when Boon and his mates were tormenting John Merrick.

Back